Find the Pitbull.....

Many folks think they know a pitbull when they see one. And there has been attacks by these very dogs, and the people learn later, it wasn't a pitbull, but unfourtanlty, when it hits the news, the doctors and such don't bother fixing the mistake, thinking oh well...

1

2

3

4

5

6

7

8

9

10

11

12

I
13

14

15

16

17

18

19

20

I still have a few more to put up, so hang on, also...lets keep this honest please. Just a little test to see what we know, and maybe get a little more educated.. 

Michigan-Mom74

Asked by Michigan-Mom74 at 11:59 PM on May. 18, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• #16 is the the only Pit Bull up there, although there are some terriers. ANd those are #10 ....#17.....#20.....
    Michigan-Mom74

Comment by Michigan-Mom74 (original poster) at 12:41 AM on May. 19, 2012

• MM, I've posted the link to that page before. It is astounding how many dogs are accused and labeled as being pits. I've seen Shepherds, Labs, and Dobies also named as pits in newspaper stories. In my area, most people fear any large dog (and most consider a Chow to be large!). DH and I have always wanted Newfies and/or Great Danes, but after seeing some of the reactions from people to my Lab/Dane mix I'm not sure if it would be fair to the dog/s. That pisses me off. A LOT. It's MY property. It's MY life. The sad fact is that even some of the vet techs in this area are scared of anything bigger than a terrier. There are many reasons that I generally like animals better than people ... and I'm about convinced that most of the animals are smarter than a large percentage of the population, and not at all interested in 'controlling' any one. Dogs should not have to pay for human stupidity and/or ignorance.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 1:36 AM on May. 19, 2012

• It does seem many people when they see a big dog, they react with intense fear. Which is a natural response of course, but if folks would take a few extra moments, take a deep breath, calm down, do NOT react, do not run, if you run you are food, natural animal instinct. Stand your ground, and DO NOT stare at the dog. I have seen people stare down a dog, that dog will attack. I have already 'trained' my the proper way of handling dogs and what to do when she sees a strange dog. And she is 3 and she already knows not to approach a strange dog, or pet one. Its not hard to do if some would pay attention. I have seen pets owners treat their dogs like people. Giving dogs 'thoughts'. People seem to think dogs can think rationally, ain't happening. Then they wonder why their dog misbehaves, or acts up. I love the Dog Whisper, I wish many folks would pay attention to him. I already was doing what he was doing, dog is a dog, not a kid.
    Michigan-Mom74

Comment by Michigan-Mom74 (original poster) at 2:17 AM on May. 19, 2012

• We have a bulldog/beagle mix. She is often mistaken for a pitt. She has the wide jaw and larger head. She is as gentle and loving a dog I've ever seen. She thinks her seat is your lap. But, I can see her attacking anyone who would attempt to harm our family.
    tracy0812

Answer by tracy0812 at 6:30 AM on May. 19, 2012

• – collapse

Here's what to do

ANY dog that invades one's space, barking and snarling and showing it's teeth, assume that it needs to be killed.

There's some common sense for ya.

Which is in HUGELY short supply on CM

Then get your boyfriend with the tattoo showing in the crack of his ass where his pants should be to bury it in the back yard with a marker made of popsicle sticks,

Then go vote for Obama and feed your kids Kraft Mac and Cheese for breakfast.

We don't live that way.

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 9:09 AM on May. 19, 2012 (hidden) + expand

• Aren't pit bulls really called Staffordshire Terriers? Our local shelter has tons of them but doesn't use the word pit bull for fear of no one adopting them, so they call them Staffordshire Terriers.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 11:29 AM on May. 19, 2012

• Robinkane. .... According to the AKC they became known as the Pit Dog and Pit Bull Terrier, then the American Bull Terrier, and still later as the Yankee Terrier. AKC also thinks they were mixed with the White English Terrier, Fox Terrier, or the Black and Tan Terrier that was crossed with the Bulldog to develop the Staffordshire Terrier. Then all three of breeds shared many traits, the greatest differences being in color, aggressiveness, and spirit. But there is a small difference and that is that a Staffordshire Terrier are very obedient and very eager to please, and sooooo easy to train. They do make an excellent guard dog while still being exceptionally gentle towards children. These breeds are my favorite just cause of these traits. When identified correctly, these dogs, to the best of my knowledge, never attacked a child or a person, unless it was provoked, and it will take a lot.
    Michigan-Mom74

Comment by Michigan-Mom74 (original poster) at 5:27 PM on May. 19, 2012

• Good post! I get so angry when someone hears the name Pitbull and flips out about how dangerous they are. I owned a Pitbull before and she was so gentle and calm. I have never personally IRL seen a mean Pitbull before. I lay the blame on the people that abuse them or train them to be mean and not on the dog. People need to educate themselves!
    Nos4

Answer by Nos4 at 5:28 PM on May. 19, 2012

• "There's some common sense for ya.......Which is in HUGELY short supply on CM...."mustbeGrace
    Ya, and you seem to be leading the pack....well hell maybe you ARE a pack leader after all!!
    Michigan-Mom74

Comment by Michigan-Mom74 (original poster) at 6:51 PM on May. 19, 2012

• They ALL look like Pitbulls, to me. I don't go near strange dogs--unless they are Cocker Spaniels or Beagles. I had the most wonderful sweet Beagle who would tolerate anything from kids and everyone,and still wag his tail. When my first born was crawling, she would grab his ears, squeeze his eye,etc. and he just kiind of cringed and still didn't let it bother him. He loved everyone, THAT is my kind of dog.
    lga1965

Answer by lga1965 at 6:51 PM on May. 19, 2012