confusion over baby foods

My DD is eight months old. She's been eating her baby cereal now since she was four months old. About two months ago, I began to introduce gerber 1sts baby food to her. We moved onto Gerber 2nds baby food about a month ago. She typically eats the applesauce, bananas, peas, carrots, peaches, sweet potato packs. I bought her some new kinds: Vanilla Custard with Bananas is one. I think she'd really enjoy it, but I'm nervous to give it to her. I know that babies cannot have cow's milk or eggs at her age, but listed in the ingredients is non-fat milk and egg yolks. I'm sure Gerber wouldn't make anything unsafe for babies, but I wanted to double check before giving to her. And there is another Gerber 2nds pack that contains strawberry which she is not supposed to have at her age either. Are these foods safe for her? Should I wait to give to her, and if so, when is a good age for these products?

rachelsmommy78

Asked by rachelsmommy78 at 5:16 PM on Jan. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Formula has cow's milk as well, they just modify it for babies. Breast milk has cows milk too if you drink it. It shouldn't be a problem, but just watch out for allergies like you would with anything else.

Don't feel obligated to make your own baby food (unless that's what you want) it's time consuming and I find it a lot easier to buy baby food jars that have ingredients that I know are safe for my baby. I recently found out you're not supposed to make your own carrots, beats, and some other things for baby because they have nitrates in them that can cause infants to be anemic. But the baby food companies know how to screen for it and use product with no nitrates.
    julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 8:19 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I think you may be making this more complicated than it needs to be.

'Baby' foods from jars are completely unnecessary - expensive, and not as good for your child as home-cooked foods.

There is_nothing_ an 8 month old with no pre-existing listed allergies - cannot have that you are eating (unless you eat McDonalds every night.)

Stop wasting your money - and just dish out what you are eating for her.

This website could really help you out - http://babyledweaning.blogware.com/

ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 5:32 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• i have twins and they are only 6 months old and i all ready give them second foodsi asked the docotor about giving them vannilla custard pudding and the strawberry gerber baby foods and he said it wouldnt hurt them
    apackard

Answer by apackard at 6:10 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• i would still be careful on high allergen foods especially peanut butter, but some dairy in small doses has been fine for my son. we started giving him yogurt drops (by gerber) and some cheese totalini things and he has done just fine. i think itll help toughen up his belly a little for the transition to milk coming up. good luck!
    disheveled

Answer by disheveled at 6:16 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• There is a difference between letting them drink cow's milk and giving dairy products. Milk is a dairy product, not all dairy products are milk...custard is a dairy product.

Are there any food allergies in the family? No..then go for it.

I would start giving table foods, personally. We were giving stage 2 foods from the very beginning (single ingredient foods then combos)

Has she had crackers? Pasta? Bread? There's eggs in those, too. It's one thing to have things as an ingredient and to give that item whole unless there is an allergy.

I don't know...by that age my kids were eating yogurt, custards, puddings, french toast, pancakes, waffles, pasta, bread, crackers, etc.....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:52 PM on Jan. 28, 2009