When does perfume/body spray/scented lotion expire?

i've had this stuff for a couple years & it was really expensive so i'm just wondering should i throw it away or use it.

mandielynn23

Asked by mandielynn23 at 1:15 AM on May. 19, 2012 in Beauty & Style

• It should be ok. It usually smells bad if it's too expired. Does it have a date anywhere?
    xXMarlyeXx

Answer by xXMarlyeXx at 1:18 AM on May. 19, 2012

• Most perfumes and lotions really don't have an expiration date, but if you smell it and it smells fine, I don't see why not..
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 1:18 AM on May. 19, 2012

• I still have some perfumes that I bought when I was stationed in Italy 10 years ago and it smells fine.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:21 AM on May. 19, 2012

• Lotions should be thrown out about 3 years after they are opened. Perfumes contain alcohol as a base, so they don't get too bad, but the scents can turn, and it will not smell anything like it was intended to.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 2:56 AM on May. 19, 2012

• I have perfume left that belonged to my grandmother and I'm a grandmother so that's really old and it still smells as good as it always did. I guess it depends on what they use in it.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:45 AM on May. 19, 2012

• if it smells like it did when it was new, use it.
    annanonnymommy

Answer by annanonnymommy at 10:30 AM on May. 19, 2012

• I'd say give it to someone who would wear it- it must not be a fav of yours, or you'd probably have used it a lot more, ya know?
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 9:51 PM on May. 19, 2012

• I do the smell check; if it's good, it's a go. I've had some perfumes for several years and they smell just as they originally did. A few others have turned; they have a more sour smell to them than they should. I do the same smell check with my lotions. Those tend to not last as long as perfumes, so I defer to PartyGalAnne on the dating piece.
    Chocolatespring

Answer by Chocolatespring at 1:10 AM on May. 22, 2012