I'm just not sure

My dd's 13 yo friend goes to the park with her boyfriend almost everyday. She post this on her facebook page in "I am at the park with my boy". I personally wouldn't let my dd do this but I'm wondering if I am just being overly protective? Summer is coming and I know this 'hanging around the park' will be coming up (meaning she will ask me if she can go). I'm just not sure....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on May. 19, 2012 in Teens (13-17)

• I would not let my daughter go-- I would encourage her to invite some girls over for a sleep over then they can invite boys over for pizza or something like that and "hang out" in the front or back yard. About outings I agree with dflygirl17
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 11:19 AM on May. 24, 2012

• If it made me uncomfortable, then no I wouldn't allow it. She is just 13, and there are some situations that you don't need to let her be in. As for trust...I would verify the parameters of each outing first, as they arise. And get to know the parents of your kid's friends, if you can.. They are only kids for a short time so they need to be allowed to be kids, and as they mature, they gain good judgement...with your help!! If it were me, I think I might offer a different option for "hanging out", such as at my house, the mall, movies, bowling, etc.
    dflygirl7

Answer by dflygirl7 at 6:46 PM on May. 21, 2012

• Wow, i think that seperating boys from girls at such a young age is only going to let them doen later in life! Personally, if my daughter asked me to go to the park with boys or girls or boy or girl i would agree because i trust her. We're close so if she was going there on a date she'd tell me but even then i see no problem. A huge mistake parents make all the time is not trusting their children. If you've raised them well they should know the differnce between right and wrong. Going to the park with your 'boyfriend' is nothing but slightly embaressing as she gets older. As for friending my daughter on facebook i would never do so unless she friended me. I value that she is her own person and i trust her to do right.
    AntoniaLucie

Answer by AntoniaLucie at 1:16 PM on May. 21, 2012

• Sounds like a great place to get pregnant or contract an STD

Answer by rkoloms at 5:51 PM on May. 19, 2012

• With FB you have to make sure that they don't have 2 accounts, one for the parents to see and one that you don't know about. I run into my kids downtown with friends when they say they will be with friends. They have proven to me they can be trusted. Once the trust is broken they will lose privileges. It's the best you can do these days.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 11:13 AM on May. 19, 2012

• The park is a public place, so I'm not sure it's really all that big a deal. As far as your daughter having a boyfriend or a facebook or anything like that - it's your choice and your right to raise your daughter as you see fit. If you don't want her to have or do those things, then don't let her do them. When your daughter asks to go to the park and spend time with her friends, let her go if you're comfortable with the way she'd behave there. Or tell her no, if you don't want to let her go. Just because her friends do something doesn't mean she will, and just because her friends get to go places doesn't mean she gets to if you're not okay with it.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 10:58 AM on May. 19, 2012

• I have my kids friended on FB- and I don't think that comment is too bad.
    I think going to the park is ok as long as you KNOW that is exactly where they are- it's daylight and whatnot. *depending on how close it is
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:50 AM on May. 19, 2012

• No you are not, I absolutely agree with you. I would not allow my 13 year old to date or hang out with a boy one on one.
    Proud_Muslimah

Answer by Proud_Muslimah at 10:40 AM on May. 19, 2012

• You aren't wrong to raise your child with your morals and standards.
    If you do not approve of children in this age group being emotionally involved you are not wrong to not allow it.

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 10:37 AM on May. 19, 2012