Is there a minimum of income you have to claim on income taxes?

I worked for two weeks this year and only made 290.64 and they took out 8.68 for federal taxes. I also cashed in my 401K from a previous job, and received 427.73 and they took out 85.55 in federal taxes. Was just wondering, because someone told me once that if you made under $1000 you didn't have to file. Thanks for any info.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:30 PM on Jan. 28, 2009 in Money & Work

• I think its 3500
    Anonymous

• when i was working on base, they did not report your wages unless it was over $600 a year. we were "contracted" employees so they did not take any taxes out of our paychecks.
    ArmyWifeMomof3

Answer by ArmyWifeMomof3 at 7:21 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• oh, i worked at the chapel in childcare.
    ArmyWifeMomof3

Answer by ArmyWifeMomof3 at 7:22 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• If you had withholding, you *should* file so you can have that amount refunded. You are not required to file if you make less than a certain amount (bascially, the standard deduction and the exemptions will zero out your income. But it's usually worth filing if you paid in. Watch the 401 K. There could be a 10% penalty. Just depends on the facts around your situation.
    ferdo0204

Answer by ferdo0204 at 11:55 AM on Jan. 29, 2009