Does your school do this?

we went to enroll the girls into their new school for next year, and riley's going into kindergarden, and they made her take a test. it was just to see where she was at with her numbers, colors, shapes and abc's. we didn't care, it just surprised us. none of the other schools that i know about ever did that. the ones in youngstown didn't and the two schools that my sister was apart of never did either. this school had a headstart program in it, could that be why?
do you know of any schools that does?
i was just wondering, i was talking to the speach theropy teacher about it and she never heard of it either.

noel1978

Asked by noel1978 at 6:56 PM on May. 19, 2012 in

• They test every child entering kindergarten here. It's a good idea imo to see about which classroom a child should be placed in.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 7:00 PM on May. 19, 2012

• It's pretty common where I am, if the child is coming from a different school district
    BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 6:58 PM on May. 19, 2012

• Doesn't happen in this district.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 7:00 PM on May. 19, 2012

• At the school I work at, they do. I am not sure about my son's school because he went to pre-K there so I didn't have to register him for kindergarten (he was automatically enrolled).

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:01 PM on May. 19, 2012

• Every child entering kindergarten gets tested here. It is so they can prepare for any extra needs they might have
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:07 PM on May. 19, 2012

• No, they didn't require that from my DD who's starting Kindergarten next fall.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 7:18 PM on May. 19, 2012

• Our school does it so they can have a class of mixed abilities.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:33 PM on May. 19, 2012

• In Chicago, only the academically advanced schools do testing (for admission)

Answer by rkoloms at 8:40 PM on May. 19, 2012

• our current school does it. the preschool is in the same building and they test all the kids, just to see what level they are at. a readiness test of sorts, to see if they are actually ready for kindergarten. we are switching schools for the next year and i fully expect them to test my son, i will be surprised if they do not.
    annanonnymommy

Answer by annanonnymommy at 9:43 PM on May. 19, 2012

• It happens around here too. It's more of a readiness thing than a "real" test. They're just assessing what the child knows before entering kindergarten.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 10:13 PM on May. 19, 2012