Okay, look at my neighborhood and what do YOU see?

I live in a neighborhood that is not the best. I live in this neighborhood b/c I chose to live comfortably WITHIN my means. It is considered a "ghetto" and I know that many people think that people living there are welfare recipients and they do not live an upstanding citizen's lifestyle, i.e. drug dealers and prostitutes, etc. I have worked ever since I was 12 and I was brought up with an excellent work ethic. I have received vouchers for my children's child care (no longer qualify b/c we make too much and for that I am glad) and my children's medical and I will soon be able to rid myself of that burden. My question is this, if you saw me on the street as you drove past my neighborhood would you assume that I was scum? Would you think that I was a shady character? Would you lock your car doors b/c of where I lived not knowing one other thing about me?

micrespo

Asked by micrespo at 5:47 PM on Jan. 28, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• My doors would already be locked. Living near bigger cities and having friends with experiencing where people have tried to get into their cars while parked at redlights...I've learned something. I don't trust anyone I don't know. It doesn't matter if I were in the Hamptons, my doors would still be locked :-) Would I assume you specifically were a criminal just because you don't live in a nice area? Absolutely not. I would take the same precautions around you and in your neighborhood as I would anywhere else. To me, you're only a bad person if I know you to be one. If I don't know you at all...you're a stranger. Taking appropriate precautions around nice, law-abiding strangers is still necessary :-)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 5:56 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Nope, should I?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:48 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• CONT'D... This post stems from others but one in particular that questioned whether you felt badly when a wealthier person was burglarized. When something happens in the "ghetto" do you mumble or even loudly state, "typical?"

micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 5:49 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• no not all I know how you feel we also live in the ghetto its what we can afford for the time being
    JAJA_Steele

Answer by JAJA_Steele at 5:49 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Not me. I don't care were you live,what car you have and how big is your house. What I care is what kind of person you are.
    Anonymous

• No, not at all.
    BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 5:50 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I lock my door in any bad neighborhood, it isnt personal. I dont know the people that live in the ghetto and if that area is high crime then you bet I am more careful because I dont know you. If you were walking down a dark alley alone that you knew crime took place on would you be wary? Same difference. I dont live in a ghetto but have lived in some bad places so I understand where you are coming from.
    Now at the same time when you go into a nice neighborhood do you have preconceived notions about those people? Im betting so. It happens everywhere.

Answer by gemgem at 5:52 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I wouldn't assume you were a shady character. I don't judge people based on where they live. I judge people based on their actions. If I were going to your neighborhood I would lock my car doors. But I lock my car door everywhere.
    sammygrl77

Answer by sammygrl77 at 5:53 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I would lock my doors if I was in a "bad" neighborhood. I wouldn't know who was "bad" and who wasn't so I don't think I would think anything about you specifically. I know there are good and bad people living in those neighborhoods.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 5:54 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I am very pleased by the responses so far. I so often hear people say, "I would never live there!" but we have great neighbors who look out for our well being and we have a decent house. We just cannot afford to live in a more upscale part of town at this time and I would rather live in a home that I can afford than to be kicked out of one I cannot.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 5:55 PM on Jan. 28, 2009