Breastfeeding on an untested medication

I kind of have a big decision to make about this. I have interstitial cystitis, it's a condition that causes pain, spasms and sometimes small ulcers to my bladder. I take a medication for this during flair ups(which happen about once a month and last a few days) that has never been tested in nursing or pregnancy and part of it is turned into formaldehyde by the kidneys. I also am sometimes on a narcotic pain killer for severe pain from the IC and I know what that did to my son last time(he was just too sleepy to eat).

I was hoping to combo feed, something like 75% bottle 25% breast since my husband is the stay at home parent right now anyway. My doctor said it was up to me and what I'm comfortable with. I guess if I do combo feed what I feel most comfortable with is just to bottle feed and pump and dump when I take my pills.
Does it sound like an ok plan to try even if it only lasts a few months?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:01 AM on May. 20, 2012 in General Parenting

• I think thats 100% awesome at least your responsible enough to think that way any breast milk is better then no breast milk in my opinion formula or prepumped milk when your on meds is a good idea :) Kudos!
    LostInMyMind

Answer by LostInMyMind at 12:22 AM on May. 20, 2012

• turned into formaldehyde by the kidneys
    narcotic pain killer

please speak to a lactation consultant and a pediatrician before feeding any of these substances to a baby through your milk
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 12:37 AM on May. 20, 2012

• @feralxat while the formaldehyde makes me nervous as far as I can tell I pee it out it's not in my blood stream for very long hence not nursing during that time and I've been given Percocet by a doctor following my c-section last time. Percocet and Lortab are approved for nursing mothers I just didn't like what it did to my 6lb baby.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:41 AM on May. 20, 2012

• I have Epilepsy and take Dilantin and Phenobarbital. I made the decision, albeit not an easy one, to bottle feed. I will probably get down voted for saint bottle vs. Breasted but I truly felt I was doing what was best for my babies.
    Sounds like you're just as self conscious as I and you'll make the right decision for your baby.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 1:20 AM on May. 20, 2012

• I would consult with a Lactation consultant before making a final decision

Answer by rkoloms at 12:04 PM on May. 20, 2012

• Check with an LC and your pediatrician. My SIL is an ob-gyn and explained that the levels of safety for meds have to do with the medication's half life in your system. See if you can get that information from your doctor who prescribed it. Any BM is better than no BM at all but if the half life of the med is long, pump & dump won't be worth the trouble.
    Vix920

Answer by Vix920 at 1:53 PM on May. 20, 2012