Does anyone else's ferret steal things and hide them?

I have owned quite a few ferrets. I love them. Only one took anything he could get in his mouth. Brilo pads were #1. I always wondered why I didnt have any. I caught him doing it once. I put them outta reach. When we moved I found them under my bed in a box. Among other things, including my class ring. I heard this is common.

BubbysMom208

Asked by BubbysMom208 at 6:11 PM on Jan. 28, 2009 in Pets

• very common. I had our ladies church group at our home one evening for bible study and the kids let our two ferrets out...well needless to say they were busy downstairs and we were upstairs...pretty soon one ferret goes running by with a um...how do I put this...adult toy ....that he had gotten out from under the bed. It had even been in a box....I wanted to die and played if off like it wasn't what it was....also had our other ferret grab tampons out of a few friends purses...
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 6:56 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• LOL! Very cute! I've never had one. I heard that they will catch bugs and store them, so they are handy to have around to get rid of bugs in the house. Have seen this behavior?

Answer by Bmat at 6:18 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• ive had some ferrets in my life so far. One was a sweet gentleman who liked to kiss your ear and everyones ears. We had a female who would sneak out her cage and she liked to take people change and hair bows and christmas thigns and hide them. we found plenty in our heater vents! They can fit into nearly any place. One guy liked to hide out in our couch and when you sat down he'd nip your pants to scare you, then pop out for pettings. Ferrets are great critters. They are very comical and sneaky. As for them being handy for bugs, some do and some dont and it depends on the bug too.
    MommysZoo

Answer by MommysZoo at 6:26 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• LOL I have never heard of the bug thing! Thats so weird. lol. I have heard that they scare away mice. I think it's total bull cuz I had 2 once and the mice still tried living in my kitchen.
    BubbysMom208

Answer by BubbysMom208 at 6:34 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• LOL I had one named Noodle once. she would steal tennis shoes and store them under my bed. she would drag them down the hall and everything it was hysterical. The shoes where as big as she was!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:37 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• LOL. I had one that would steal 44oz fountain pops and take them behind the couch. without spilling them!!!
    Caoimhe_Oona

Answer by Caoimhe_Oona at 9:25 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• We had 8 ferrets at one time. When we moved from one house to the other, I found my DH's ex's jewlery, earrings, necklaces, rings. In another spot, they had hidden a bag of gummie worms, car keys, rubber stoppers from the sinks, toy cars, you name it. I always refered to them as "packrats" and they proved me right.
    No, by the way, I didn't keep the jewlery. I gave it to his ex. Had to laugh later when she said to me, ummmm, this ring isn't mine. It wasn't mine either.
    wildprairierose

Answer by wildprairierose at 5:24 AM on Jan. 30, 2009

• YES! We have had MANY ferrets through the years, as we had a ferret rescue. It is one of their FAV things to do! Mine LOVE beannie babies, the teenie ones. I was worried about the beans but they never chewed them, just hid them & rehid them. & Yes they LOVE to steal from my purse, lunchbox, pockets, the dogs toy box is a FAV too!

Sue

dansuehath

Answer by dansuehath at 12:08 AM on Jan. 31, 2009