• In the Spotlight:

How do you treat a child with Croup?

I have a one and a half year old who has Croup and I am wondering what I can do at home to make him feel most comfortable

Doubleaamom

Asked by Doubleaamom at 6:15 PM on Jan. 28, 2009 in Kids' Health

• My daughter has had croup 3 times. I would agree the cool mist humidifier really helps. The last time she had it, her pediatrician gave her steroids and told us to crack the window open (we live where it's cold) and put the cool mist humidifier on. It took a while but her breathing calmed down and it also helped get her fever down. It seems weird to put a sick child in a cold room but it was the only thing that worked.
    momof2girlz33

Answer by momof2girlz33 at 6:26 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Cold moister thats what they taught me in school. I take my daughter outside in the cold weather but she's a little older now. You could also use a cool mist humidifier.
    emtmommyamanda

Answer by emtmommyamanda at 6:18 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• If she hasn't been taken to the pediatricain yet, you might need to take her. Croup causes swelling in the throat which makes breathing difficult and causes the raspy cough. They usually prescirbe a steroid as stated above to reduce the swelling. A cool mist humidier also helps.
    Lisahi

Answer by Lisahi at 8:32 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• We did breathing treatments.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:11 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Turn the shower on hot and sit in there with her. The steam works well. I'm not sure what part of the country you are in but I used to sit outside with my daughter and that also helped. Keep a humidifier running if your air is dry.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 11:22 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Doc put my son, age 2, on 3 days of steroids, a round of antibiotics to prevent secondary infections and told us to get him a cool mist humidifier
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:30 PM on Jan. 29, 2009