15mth. old scared of cows?

My 15month old son is terrified of cow noises. We were watching mickey mouse clubhouse one day and the episode had a cow on it, as soon as the cow made the moo sound my son freaked and started crying hysterically. Now if anyone makes the moo sound he freaks. I've never seen anything like this! Should i try and avoid using anything that would make a cow noise or try to teach him not to be afraid of it ?

LJS29

Asked by LJS29 at 6:22 PM on Jan. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would try and avoid it for a while. He is too young to be able to help him face his fears. Poor baby. I would write it in his baby book though because it's kind of cute and in 20 years it will make you laugh.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 6:24 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• my son is 2 now but he used to be scared of ducks and geese. i mean he was terrified. as soon as he saw one-he would run and cry. i think it bc its something new, maybe he will grow out of it. my son isnt scared of ducks or geese anymore, now its santa clause. the commercial on tv for alltel that had santa on it would send my lo into hysterics. dont avoid making the cow sounds. maybe you can make it a game and tickle him while you moo. see if that helps and good luck to you
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 6:26 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Maybe you can find a cute stuffed cow that makes a "pleasant" moo sound?! My kids LOVED Elmo on TV, but hated/terrified of the personalized talking Elmo I bought them for their 1st birthdays...go figure! LOL
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:29 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• My son did almost that very thing. We had a book with a puppet built in that mooed and he would freak out if he even saw it on the shelf. We had to hide if for a while.

After a few months he forgot about it and was ok. I would just avoid cows for a few months and it should resove itself.
    Anonymous

• Take a break from the cows for a bit and then reintroduce them. It's normal for children that age to not like animals or the noises they make. Try to make cow noises seem light and fun. It'll pass.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 7:53 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I would try to show there is nothing to be afraid of, maybe take a trip to a petting zoo (so may have a baby cow) or a near by farm, and just encourage him not to be afraid. I think it is just a faze, but show him that mommy ( and everyone else in the family) are not afraid of cows. I watch a boy who is afraid of water, so I sometimes do water activities with him. Like, when it was still hot, I filled up a baby pool and his cousin who is the same age as him played in it and I sat by him next to the pool and we put our hands in and played with water toys. He seemed to get past his fear for a while.
    mandicope

Answer by mandicope at 7:33 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• My daughter also hated the cow noise on several of her toys! She doesn't seem to be bothered by them anymore, however. We tried to make the cows "friendly"....we got some books by Boynton (Moo Baa La La La is a good one) to help. Interestingly, my Mom told me that when I was the age that my daughter is now, that I was also terrified of cow noises!!
    Kynsicat

Answer by Kynsicat at 9:30 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• My 14 month old has the exact same reaction!! I have a kids CD with the farm animals on it. As soon as the cow makes the "moo" sound at the very end he freaks and goes hysterical crying!! I thought maybe it was a fluke so I played it again and same thing! Maybe there is something psychological to this??
    Mbell29

Answer by Mbell29 at 8:24 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• My 4 month old is scared as well. I've never seen anything like it, I was holding him which rocking as I was making animal noises and when I went, "moooooooo" he gave me the saddest little pouty face and started crying actual tears. It extremely concerning, I mean he is only 4 months!
    KairiCentatri

Answer by KairiCentatri at 1:21 PM on Mar. 12, 2009