Sorry, my answer to another question made me think of this

when your kids were about 1 to 2 years, did they take a nap on their own, or did you have to make them?
my youngest hated naps and refused to take them. i would take her to the park or outside (we had an actual yard in that house) and wear her down for her nap. and she would only take it if i laid down next her.
anyone else had that problem?

noel1978

Asked by noel1978 at 1:19 PM on May. 20, 2012 in Toddlers (1-2)

• two things my younger two never fuss about: food & sleep. my middle one used to grab her toy and take herself to bed sometimes. as a baby, she slept from 7pm to 10am sometimes. currently my youngest is 2 and will literally tell you when she's tired.

my oldest, on the other hand, like me and all the women in my family, sleeps very rarely and lightly. she hated naps as a baby, didn't sleep through the night til 18+ months old, and generally does not sleep well at night still at 5 and a half years old. i always make them have "quiet time" though, and if she sleeps, then she's either sick or dog tired.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:30 PM on May. 20, 2012

• My oldest always fought naps, still does. So, now that's how I know she's getting sick. If she lays down to go to sleep before bedtime, then she's sick the next day.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 1:22 PM on May. 20, 2012

• they ALL fought naps.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 1:25 PM on May. 20, 2012

• At that age they would nap on their own
    Lovemyfamily24

Answer by Lovemyfamily24 at 1:34 PM on May. 20, 2012

• My son just turned 2 last month. Sometimes he fights it, but usually he naps on his own. He'll tell me to sing him a song and I know it's time.
    Vix920

Answer by Vix920 at 1:48 PM on May. 20, 2012

• when my oldest was that age, she had one of those small tv combos with the vcr in her room, it only had one channel and that was pbs. (we didn't have cable) and she would just plop herself down on the floor and take about a thirty minute nap. usually around the time barney was on, that's when she was asleep. if she wasn't she was watching the afternoon news with me cuz she was afraid of barney
    noel1978

Comment by noel1978 (original poster) at 1:53 PM on May. 20, 2012

• Nope! When she was that age she would tell me "nigh nigh" and walk to her room and if you didn't follow to put her in her crib she would become very angry. I have to fight a little now and she is almost 4.
    coala

Answer by coala at 3:45 PM on May. 20, 2012

• Thet fought naps
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 2:05 PM on May. 21, 2012

• Mine all took them but sometimes it was a fight. If they get tired before, say 7pm, I think they need a nap.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 6:54 PM on May. 22, 2012

• Yes, I did also if they have too much choc. milk, sugar snacks or caffeine drinks will cause them to fight sleep
    Sarah961

Answer by Sarah961 at 4:18 AM on May. 26, 2012