Why does my baby wake up so angry from her naps?

my 15 month old ALWAYS wakes up in such a bad mood. she cries for me to pick her up then when i go to grab her she falls out in the floor. She hits, scratches and acts like this for about and hour everytime she wakes up. she takes 40 min naps . I do not wake her up, i let her wake up on her own... its annoying. what should i do?

latayra

Asked by latayra at 1:36 PM on May. 20, 2012 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It sounds like she's just not a "morning person". Some people just need time after they wake up to on track and little ones are no different than adults. I need at lest 30-40 min. to wake up and feel like being talked to.
    Anonymous

• do you have anything you could use as a background noise? music is playing most of the time when the girls were sleeping. or you could try letting her sleep on the floor. that was how my oldest fell asleep.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 1:42 PM on May. 20, 2012

• My daughter always did this too. She's 5 now, occasionally falls asleep during the day, still wakes up angry. She's generally a happy kid, so I don't know what causes it. When she falls asleep now and then wakes up, I just leave her alone until she starts talking to me, lol, otherwise I get growled at, no matter how sweetly I approach her. Not that we walk on eggshells around her, I just pretend she's not there until she's ready to interact with the rest of the world. I don't know what to tell you to do about it, just know you aren't the only one. Good luck :)

momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 1:55 PM on May. 20, 2012

• Why do some adults wake up cranky?

Answer by rkoloms at 4:02 PM on May. 20, 2012

• how does she go to sleep? Is it a good/bad experience for her? If she is CIO to go to sleep, id guess that is why..
    maybe she is oversleeping, try going in there 10min sooner & cuddling with her to wake her up?..
    Could she need a snack before nap? or wake up needing to pee?..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 8:43 PM on May. 20, 2012

• Who isnt cranky after being woken from a nice nap?
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 2:04 PM on May. 21, 2012

• We always called it nap rage in our house.

It helped if we didn't pull our daughter out of bed until she was ready-- of course, this wasn't always an option, but it helped. The days we don't have to leave, we would just turn on some music in her room, give her a couple of toys, and let her just be in her bed waking up for 30 minutes. Then we would get her out of bed. It seemed to help some of the time.

I equate it to the same thing as me setting my alarm 30 minutes early so I can press the snooze button for half an hour before I get out of bed.
    other_mother

Answer by other_mother at 4:27 PM on May. 22, 2012

• Maybe she is having bad dreams when she wakes up.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 6:52 PM on May. 22, 2012