Is FiberSure safe for a 12-month old?

What else helps with constipation? We are going to be switching to Whole Milk adn we already have issues with constipation, so I'm just getting prepared.

princessyummie

Asked by princessyummie at 6:59 PM on Jan. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If you already have constipation issues, switching isn't a good idea. You should try goat's milk, it's much easier on the digestive system an generally healthier than cow's milk.

As for using a laxative, it should be a last resort. Try fruits and veggies with fiber first, even try prunes and juice/water. The laxative that we have used, as a very last resort, was fletchers laxative for kids. It was only used after over a week of constipation..
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 7:07 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I agree with the answer above. And if you go with a laxative, talk to your doctor first and go with their recommendation.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 7:08 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• The body can become dependent on laxatives. I wouldn't use it without the advice of a doctor.
    StarLee

Answer by StarLee at 7:11 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• if he's already having issues, why would you risk making them worse? try to figure out what's causing the constipation. don't use anything but naturally fiber rich foods to help.
    Anonymous

• Talk to your doctor before giving anything. We had large constipation issues that diet changes didn't help. Our doctor ended up putting her on a daily maintence dose of Miralax. It is NOT a laxative (despite the name) and is safe for long term use. BUT you need to talk to your doctor first.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:29 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• My DD couldn't drink whole milk (and still can't at 3yrs) without getting constipated.
    She had to drink 2% or I had to put some water in the whole milk if thats all I had available.
    CatherineBird

Answer by CatherineBird at 4:29 AM on Jan. 29, 2009