What to do when you are surrounded by negative people?

My husband is a very negative person, as well as my parents and a couple of our friends. How do you find hope in life's various situations when it seems like everyone around you is so negative about life?  Is anyone else experience this? 

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:53 PM on May. 20, 2012 in Relationships

• Get a job and surround yourself with positive influences! Why is everyone so negative?
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 9:57 PM on May. 20, 2012

• Stay positive and ignore them. I agree surround yourself with positive people.
    iwicked

Answer by iwicked at 10:00 PM on May. 20, 2012

• This is a dicey place to be. It is so unhealthy I cannot even say and can take years to remove yourself and change your thinking. Half of the battle is saying positive things out loud so that your mind (like neurofeedback) begins to actually think positively. Start by reminding yourself that you are good, worthy of love, happiness and abundance. Eventually your attitude might rub off on your dh. Otherwise, limit time spent with the negative people in your life because it is the law of attraction. The more around you the more will come. Same is true with happy people, the more you are happy and have happy friends, the more who you will attract. I promise you...
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:04 PM on May. 20, 2012

• I leave but then I'm single. I can't be around negative people. They depress me.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:05 PM on May. 20, 2012

• You start by realizing, and truly accepting the fact that you cannot own their emotions. All you can own is your reaction to them.

That's a big part of the battle right there.
    BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 10:08 PM on May. 20, 2012

• Oohhh yeah, I have experienced this both with my bio family & certain members in my SO's family. We choose to not spend our time or energy around them because it just takes a toll on us. It's not healthy for us spiritually, mentally, physically and whole as a human being. No person should be treated less than due to a rank in their military command, their place in a marriage, the place in siblings and so on. Everyone should be treated with equality.

I chose to not associate myself around people who are negative. It makes my heart less jumpy, me less irratable, hurt, and bewildered of how they could treat someone in such a cruel manner.
    onelove1982

Answer by onelove1982 at 10:09 PM on May. 20, 2012

• You need to give to others (those negative people may need you) but you also need relationships in life that fill you up and HAVE to have a balance. I agree with the above posters- surround yourself with positive people!!
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 10:33 PM on May. 20, 2012

• I go o my mental happy place
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 11:34 PM on May. 20, 2012

• tell them to stfu
    CaLiMaMom

Answer by CaLiMaMom at 5:49 AM on May. 21, 2012

• I tell them to tell someone who cares to listen to them whine and cry, I don't want to hear it , I would rather surround myself with happy and uplifting people rather than Debbie downers.
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 8:01 AM on May. 22, 2012