• In the Spotlight:

Is The age for Kindergarden a absolute 5?

What I'm wondering is do schools allow kids that are almost 5 to take the exam an start school early? My girl will be 5 in Nov. has had 2 years of homeschool prek an above Kindergarden level Now. i want to keep her home an cont. wk she will be almost 6 nxt. yr. when its time for her to start. I Dnt realy No what would Be Best for her Education.

ssspw-world

Asked by ssspw-world at 7:20 PM on Jan. 28, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I agree with most of the comments here, I taught preschool for 28 years and almost always encouraged parents with children having those late summer birthdays to wait a year. Some girls will go OK to start just turning 5 but most boys need to wait a year. Our school district just recently changed our cut off date to August 1st. Enjoy her another year. once they start school time goes so fast. Our youngest is a senior, we held her out an extra year her birthday is August 10th. She has done great and I am glad we waited.
    sherry512

Answer by sherry512 at 9:20 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• No only at five...way too young...She may be smart enough but she is socially not ready...and it may not show now but as school progresses you will and you will regret it
    Anonymous

• Six is best in my eyes and I have four kids
    Anonymous

• Teacher here:

The answer is NO they wont let her start early. Most school systems have a date that you must be 5 by to enroll. Most is in Sept.

My son was 5 in July, so he is young for his age. I wanted to give him an advatage so I sent him to a private Christian Kindergarten and next year he will repeat K. in public school.

This is called redshirting and it is VERY popular now. There are many things to ponder when you decide these things. Remember, school is NOT all about "book" learning. She probably would do just fine to start when she is almost 6. It will give her a little more time to get that much better!
    Anonymous

• my son turns 5 at the end of this school year. he will start kindergarten next year. depends on when her birthday is and everything. i know my dad wished his mom had kept him back (his b-day is in august) so he was the youngest in the entire class....
    ArmyWifeMomof3

Answer by ArmyWifeMomof3 at 7:27 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Our school district's cut off is December 1st.

My youngest two will start the same year because of this....

My middle boy will turn 6 in December of his first grade year. It's absolute here...and he just had an evaluation today where he tested at a 5 year 4 month level cognitively (he's just three) He could go into kindergarten next year based on that...but there is NO way in heck he is ready socially or emotionally!!

My youngest will start kindergarten when he is 4 (turn 5 that November). We are actually waiting to see how he is by then, though....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:32 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• My daughter has been in Pre K since she was 3. Of course I pay for her to go to school but it equals out to be the same as paying for her to go to child care. She is doing excellent in the program which is designed for 3K and 4K. Great program--Best decision I've made she is having fun and learning alot.
    Witchblade1998

Answer by Witchblade1998 at 7:34 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I started when I was 4. My birthday's in August so I was only 6 for a couple of weeks. It's ulitmately up to you and the school system.
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 7:41 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Awesome, Thats Great, an we have so much fun, Thanks That makes me feel better!!!
    ssspw-world

Answer by ssspw-world at 7:43 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I teach Kindergarten - No she can not start kindergarten early, states have cut offs for birthdays. I think it would be MUCH better to wait until she is 6 since she has a late birthday. (I am not saying your child isnt smart enough but socially she would be very young and if not now later in her schooling it would be a problem.)
    Mom2Girl865

Answer by Mom2Girl865 at 9:36 PM on Jan. 28, 2009