Exercising while pregnant

Now, that my first trimester is over, I decided to go back to the gym and take my chances of vomiting all over the machines. Just kidding (but not really). I am happy to report that I did the eliptical, ran and lifted weights without even a tiny bit of naseous! Yeah me! I was just wondering if any of you pregnant mamas work out and what your workout regimen is. If you did while you were pregnant, did it help that you were physically fit when you went into labor? Did your body bounce back pretty easily?

hgibsonorc

Asked by hgibsonorc at 7:21 PM on Jan. 28, 2009 in Pregnancy

• when I was pregnant I liked yoga, walking and swimming
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 7:26 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• walking and swimming worked great for me.
    BrandonsMom1000

Answer by BrandonsMom1000 at 7:41 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I played and coached ice hockey when I found out I was pregnant. I obviously stopped playing, but I continued to coach. I would jump in during the drills and it was great to stay on the ice. These were with kids under 12 years of age, so it wasn't that straining. I did this until the season ended two months before I was due.

After that, I tried to do as much as I could on the treadmill, outside or on the eliptical.

I thought that by doing all this, my body would bounce back, but it didn't. I had a csection and that really grounded me for a bit. 8 months after giving birth, I still have about 5 lbs. of baby weight left from the 45 lbs. I gained. My stomach is still flabby, but that's only because I dont' do enough crunches :)
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 8:10 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I just walked. A LOT. I think I was in better shape pregnant than I had been in a while!
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 8:30 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I exercise pretty much every day or at least every other day. I do exercise videos (cardio workout) for 20 mins., lift light handweights and do some squats. I'm 34 wks. and I think this has helped with my energy level a lot. I also stretch and do some yoga stuff. I'm hoping this helps with my labor/delivery. I have a very fit friend who gave birth naturally in a manner of hours (with her first). I'm sure it was b/c she was so fit before and during pregnancy.
    Anonymous

• I walked, on the treadmill in the gym in the worst part of winter but usually outside. I also swam. Just run your routine by your doc, it's ok to exercise and does help with labor and delivery, but you don't want to overdo it. Prenatal yoga is an awesome workout that helps prepare your body for childbirth too.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:21 PM on Jan. 29, 2009