Is The age for Kindergarden a absolute 5?

What I'm asking is will schools allow children to take the exam an start kindergarden before they are 5? My daughter will be 5 in November. She has had 2 yrs. of Homeschool an above Kindergarden level NOW, doI keep teaching an wait till she almost 6 or Is it possible to get her in school soon? Myself, Id wait but her education is important?

ssspw-world

Asked by ssspw-world at 7:32 PM on Jan. 28, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• There is a big issue with how emotionally/socially ready she is, however, if she is ready emotionally then it wont hurt it at all either way it sounds she is gonna be ahead of the other kids academically and if she gets bored then she may be labeled with false labels so whenever she starts be aware of such and once in school make sure she is tested by a professional of the district and not a regular teacher to see if she is challenged academically enough or not and if she needs some more challenging classes. Most districts have a program called gifted/talented in which kids with higher academic challenging is needed so though she would still be in kindergarten, she could have some more challenging work to keep her learning so she wouldnt get bored and possibly act out or just get too quiet and not interact as much.
    kingkongsmom

Answer by kingkongsmom at 12:19 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Nope, they have to be 5 by the cutoff date.

She may be academically ready. But there is a LOT more to K. than just academics.

You may hurt her by pushing her so hard mom.

I am a teacher and sometimes kids need more time to mature.
    Anonymous

• Depends on where you are. Here in NY, she'd be able to go since most schools have a 12/1 cutoff. My twins are a 12/16 birthday and I want them to start early too. But, then I hear about the advantage they will have if they wait and I'm not so sure I want to push it anymore. They've already got the socialization thing down from being in daycare since 10 weeks. My big concern is that they will be bored by not learning enough new things in kindergarten and act out.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 7:39 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I think that you should continue homeschooling her if at all possible. Public schools only strive for the minimum and if you want excellence you either have to home school or find a good private school that will allow her to learn based on her learning level rather then her age.
    Much of the time, the smarter kids turn into trouble makers because they are bored with public school and not being challenged.
    Anonymous

• I agree with annonymous. I saw a question recently about a mom wondering if her daughter should be held back in 1st grade because she was behind socially and one of the youngest in her class. Social skills are one of the big things she'll be learning.

Take that extra year and cool the academics a little. Get her into physical activities with and without teammates. Take fun field trips and talk about what you see. Teach her things at home that she won't have as much time to learn in the coming years - how to cook, how to play the piano, plant a garden.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:46 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• It depends on the cutoff date for your state. For instance, my son started kindergarten in the fall of 2008 and he was 4 years old when he started. He turned 5 in October and the cutoff in MI is they have to be 5 by December 1st. HTH!!!
    BethieBoo

Answer by BethieBoo at 7:47 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Why not just continue homeschooling her? It sounds like she's excelling with it. She will probably get bored in regular school.

As for the age thing, most states require that the kids have started school BY a certain age. I'm not sure that they will let them in before a certain age. Where I live, they have to be 5 on or before September 1st to get in.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 8:00 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Check with your county school board about the age. Ours is age 4 by Sept. 1. Mandatory school age is 6. However, children may take a test to see if they can enter school early. I have heard that the test is very difficult, because they don't want anyone to slip through if they are not truly ready. Your daughter may feel challenged in kindergarten if your school system is like ours in WV. The K curriculum is just like what I learned when I was in first grade. If yours is very academic then she may find it challenging and just what she needs. If it is to easy, talk to her teacher about ways to challenge her in the classroom or maybe she could help a classmate that is having trouble learning. Talk with the teachers, work as a team and she will do well!
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 8:16 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I think it really depends on how close to the cut-off the child is and if they are ready for it. The public school cut off in our area is 1 sept. That being said since the public schools in our area academically suck so we are sending to a Private school(as long as we financially can) which has a cutoff of 15 Dec. Since DD misses that cutoff by 2 days they are willing to test her to see if she would be able to handle it. If they think she can they will make an exeption and let her start this year.
    plprincess78

Answer by plprincess78 at 9:29 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I would check with the school you are looking into. With my local district, my daughter is supposed to be 5 by Sept. 1 (she won't turn 5 until Dec. 21 - therefore, not starting K until she's almost 6); however, I am able to request placement testing to get her into K for the 2009/2010 school year. As long as she passes the placement testing, she's in.
    AshleyBabydoll

Answer by AshleyBabydoll at 10:47 PM on Jan. 28, 2009