How to explain to my five year old that everyone loses there baby teeth?

My son Jalen is 5 years old...hes my only child...so therefore I've never had to deal with this before. Although I'm very sad that hes growing on up, now hes losing teeth wow...So the question is how do i explain to him that it happens and have him excited about it, so he want be so down about it...

jalenslilmama

Asked by jalenslilmama at 7:33 PM on Jan. 28, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• is their an older child or sibling/cousin he looks upto? If you can't convince him about maybe the tooth fairy or something some one else he looks upto might?
    watersgirls

Answer by watersgirls at 7:35 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• nope no other person the kids he goes to school but cause hes a late bloomer there younger then him...and the tooth fairy as not worked...he thinks hes going to look like nana...(she had has no top teeth lol)...and wants to know how hes going to eat...I've explained that to him and everyone loses them
    jalenslilmama

Answer by jalenslilmama at 7:39 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I bought some books about it. I was worried that my son would feel bad for being the only one in his class lossing his tooth, it started in Pre-K 4. After reading the books he felt proud that he was in advance from his friend.
    tuquinha

Answer by tuquinha at 7:41 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• lol sorry can't help laughing about the nana thing. i don't know if they have any tooth fairy movies or something like they did when I was younger (not that long ago) like tommy the tooth or something like that? or the dentist?
    watersgirls

Answer by watersgirls at 7:42 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Take a trip to the library, and check out books about the human body. My son likes the "Usborne" and the "Eyewitness" series. They have great illustrations that show the different steps it takes to lose a tooth and grow a new one. My son is four and understands that first a baby tooth is wiggly, because the big boy ones are pushing it out of the way. I never tell him that it hurts.
    Anonymous

• Dr. Seuss "The Tooth Book". Or anyone of several other books for kids about teeth.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 9:04 PM on Jan. 28, 2009