Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can I...

claim my daughter when I go to do my taxes? She's not due until March 3rd, but I heard that I could still claim her as long as she has a SS card by April 15th. Is that true?


Asked by piercedbeauty21 at 7:51 PM on Jan. 28, 2009 in Pregnancy

Level 5 (68 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (5)
  • No you cannot claim your daughter for your 2008 taxes but you will be able to claim her in 2009. I just had my baby two weeks ago. It's not a matter of obtaining a ssn by a certain date it's when she was born. If that baby is born by dec 31,at 11:59 at night it's last years tax writeoff. Anything after that is not until next year. I've done this four times!lol

    Answer by Steff107 at 7:56 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

  • I really don't think so because you are filing last year's taxes, the baby was not a dependent last year.

    Answer by MammaMcC at 7:54 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

  • No, because she wasn't born in 2008. You can claim her next year when you file your 2009 taxes.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:55 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

  • No. She has to be born before midnight on December 31, 2008. You can claim her on 2009 taxes.

    Answer by celticreverie at 7:59 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

  • Oh okay. I didn't think I'd be able to claim her, but it was worth a try! lol

    Answer by piercedbeauty21 at 7:59 PM on Jan. 28, 2009