*EDIT ADDED Again* We Now Found Out Adopted Child is Colonized MRSA...

We adopted a medically complex child, Pickle, Pickle had lived entire life in a hospital. The Hospital never mentioned MRSA colonization to us thru out our medical training. We really did not find out until Pickle was placed with us and our childrens hospital placed Pickle under precautions when Pickle was admitted. Pickles caseworker said she believed MRSA colonization wasn't contagious.

Going into adoption, we were open to anything medically fragile as long as it did not put our other child, Olive at risk. We have now had Pickle for 1 1/2 years and found out from our Pediatricians office that colonized MRSA is contagious and if anyone in our home get a cut or scrape, we are at risk of MRSA from Pickle. Now I feel betrayed by the state for now going into more detail about the colonized MRSA and I feel guilty that we are putting Olive in risk of MRSA... I don't even know what to think or do at this point...
NO, those are nicnames, I did not want to use my childrens real names on here. And the information was not disclosed to us, everyone felt our childs other medical issues were more important...
I asked under general health and received more criticism than information, I was hoping under the adoption I might find someone in a similar situation! I have tried looking into MRSA, and it isn't pretty!! I was hoping to find someone in similar situation that might know more!!

I have tried finding newer info without success. I have asked our Pediatrician's office but they seem to know very little as far as precautions we should take in our home and around family members that aren't in the best of health. I'm also concerned because Olive is borderline diabetic and has to monitor surgar by pricking finger.

we were not open to ANY, we we open to a lot of health issues at our own discretion.

If we had known about the risk of MRSA with Pickle, and Olives health with diabetes and checking her blood, we would have thought about things differently, we were not open to adopting another child with medical issues that could affect Olives health. If the roles were reversed, if Olive had the colonized MRSA, we would have looked for children that didn't have to be poked every day to monitor their sugar, we would not have wanted to put any other child at added risk.

Olive and Pickle are both adopted, but we were told of ALL of Olives health risks when she was adopted!

Drfink.... I am upset that no one told us any info on our childs colonized mrsa, no one told us any precautions to take in our home, no training, NOTHING!! I wish I wasn't finding this out 1 1/2 years after bringing our daughter into our home!! I would love for others that have dealt with mrsa to share information, any extra precautions you take in your home? During an outbreak, without an outbreak? Precautions when others in the home get cuts and scrapes? Do you have a family member colonized with MRSA?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:09 AM on May. 21, 2012 in Adoption

• This was asked last night. You were given great information. You need to educate yourself or quit trolling.
    iwicked

Answer by iwicked at 9:17 AM on May. 21, 2012

• Pickle,Olive.....do you have one named Pearl Onion as well?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:21 AM on May. 21, 2012

• iwicked

Answer by iwicked at 9:31 AM on May. 21, 2012

• You were not criticized.
    You were advised to educate yourself.

You were given a great link. You could also speak to medical professionals.

And if Olive was the one colonized would you be as concerned about the health risks to Pickle?

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 9:36 AM on May. 21, 2012

• You weren't criticized.

Valid questions were asked. Would you have not adopting your child because of MRSA?

Where are you looking up your information? Are you basing your fears on the cases you've read about recently? Because if you are, you're doing yourself a disservice.

Has your bio OR adopted child had any scratch or scrape since the adoption went through? If so, did anyone develop a major infection?

Finally, what other health issues does your adopted child have?
    BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 9:41 AM on May. 21, 2012

• I'm sorry for what you are going through. My situation is not like yours, but my 12 yo contracted MRSA a few months ago - best guess is he caught it in the school's locker rooms. He took a few bleach baths and some antibiotics, he's fine. The dr did say now that he's had it he's more likely to catch it again. While he had it I bathed my 1 and 3 yo's in the other bathtub and we kept his wound covered at all times.
    I would find a more knowledgeable ped or a specialist who can give you more info.

Answer by missanc at 10:28 AM on May. 21, 2012

• Living with MRSA   another  and another

No one has criticized you. We have advised you to stop panicking and educate yourself. With a quick Google search, I found those sources and more that tell you some very simple common sense precautions that will protect your family. Not to mention, the fact that you've all not contracted it until now should tell you there's no reason to panic.

And though you'll say I'm criticizing, I'm going to ask it anyway: Why didn't you do your own research? If you're adopting a child with health issues, you should learn about those health issues.

wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 12:53 PM on May. 21, 2012

• I'm sorry that you have to worry about this now. Just wondering - are you sure the SW knew about this that far back? Where was it found? Was it in a wound? I'm a nurse, and that is something we always need to know. If a person has a PEG tube, for example, and if the MRSA was found around the PEG site, we would use extra precautions (gloves, handwashing, site care) when working around that area. Lots of families live with family members who have MRSA. It stinks if the information was withheld from you. Still, people are picking it up in the community more often these days and not just in the hospital. Any of us could potentially find ourselves in the same situation at some point. We wouldn't normally wear gloves when treating our child's wounds, but the handwashing is something we would do. When you look for reading material, choose reputable sites like NIH or Mayo clinic. Also support Pickle's immune system. {HUGS}
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 4:56 PM on May. 21, 2012

• MRSA is something I came into contact with regularly. I probably am a carrier considering how much I was around it. My son had MRSA after a surgery. I have come into contact with so much worse. VRE is definately not my favorite. But better than flesh eating bacteria or air born MRSA. Handwashing is tge most important thing. Keeping wounds clean. Not using towels over again. We used a surgical grade soap for several weeks. Expensive but you do what you have to do. It boils down to that. While not fun, it is so much worse for the person infected. I personally would be more concerned for how my child is coping and responding. Keeping a positive attitude to keep down anxiety.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 7:05 PM on May. 21, 2012

• Someone hold me back.
    FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 8:40 PM on May. 21, 2012