Teaching my kid his ABC's.....best method?

Ds is three years old and just got out of school last Friday. Since we will be home most of the summer I want to focus on his education. i want to take at least 2-3hrs out of his day(Mon-Fri) and focus on his ABC's- 123's- shapes etc... I have been looking at websites such as Nick Jr. to find ideas. I read that it is best to teach a letter a week. Has any one done this? How did it work out? Could I do a letter, number, and a shape for a week? Is that too much? I have already brought activity books, printed out activities, I have even made books. He can say his ABC's but he do not recognize them when you point to a letter. The four months that he has been in school was great and I want to keep the momentum going. Any advice is helpful. Thanks!

babygirl0782

Asked by babygirl0782 at 9:12 AM on May. 21, 2012 in General Parenting

• A 3 year old will not be able to tolerate 2-3 hours of work
    I'd do workbooks,maybe some electronic games,educational tv
    MAKE IT FUN or you'll lose her interest

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:26 AM on May. 21, 2012

• One of the best things you can do is simply talk about letters, numbers, and shapes in everyday conversation. You can know that you are concentrating on a particular letter/number, but instead of making it a structured school time do it casually as you go through your day. Use labels on everyday items to point out the letter, color the letter in an alphabet coloring book, point out the letter in the grocery store, etc, etc. Read together often. Go to the library. The best way to foster reading skills is to read to a child often. 2-3 hours per day is a lot at this age (IMO) and you can do it more casually during the entire day.
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 9:30 AM on May. 21, 2012

• We played some of the games off the Nick Jr. website this weekend, I will definitely incorporate that into our lesson.  We watch Team Umizoomi(have a bunch of recording).  I just want to make sure I am going about this the right way....

babygirl0782

Comment by babygirl0782 (original poster) at 9:31 AM on May. 21, 2012

• 2-3 hours is way too much. You're going to burn him out before he even starts kindergarten.

Sesame Street continues to be the leader in number/letter recognition education, in my opinion
    BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 9:44 AM on May. 21, 2012

• Keep it fun. Agreed that 2-3 hours is way too much for that age. Even homeschooling multiple subjects with older kids doesn't involve 3 hours of lessons.

When mine were that age, I taught with play. We sang songs, played letter games, and I had him help me count at the store when we were out shopping.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 9:54 AM on May. 21, 2012

• Thanks ladies!
    babygirl0782

Comment by babygirl0782 (original poster) at 10:04 AM on May. 21, 2012

• Just make it fun! Use shaving cream, sidewalk chalk, finger paint, etc to draw letters. Leapfrog fridge phonics was one of the best purchases I ever made - that's how my kids learned their letters without any help from me (only downside is it's only capitals). I always tried to link learning the letters with teaching the letter sounds (since most of the letters "say" their name it isn't that hard).

Answer by missanc at 10:21 AM on May. 21, 2012

• How I taught my 2 year old her abc's...

I grabbed the book, Dr. Seuss's ABC's, and read it to her every day, then at the end, I would sing the alphabet to her (because it was on the "last" page/cover), and as I was singing, would point to the letters. She eventually caught on to it!

Every day, point out a new shape..."look, that's a circle, can you say circle?" and just work on ONE thing at a time.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 10:41 AM on May. 21, 2012

• preschoolers don't need structured learning time, workbooks or drills. They need fun, interactive, hands-on playful learning. Both my kids learned letter recognition early and all we did with both was play games and read. Read books like Chicka Chicka Boom Boom and Chicka Chicka 1-2-3. Craft together - when you're done label the project and spell out what you're writing. Get big foam letters and magnets. Hide them, refer to them, play with them. "Can you find the letter B?" You can go further with "Ball starts with the letter B. Bah. Bah. Ball. B sounds like Bah." Play games on Starfall.com, PBSkids.org, Scholastic.com and other kid friendly ed sites. When you're out and about, play seek and find games with letters, for example, you're Target, there's an A in the Target sign. Now B. There's a B in boys department. My two (now 9 and 7) still play this to entertain themselves. :)
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 10:59 AM on May. 21, 2012

• You can use chalk outside for similar activities. You can also get paint brushes, branches, and other 'fun' potential writing utensils. Let him draw in dirt, paint the fence or sidewalk with water, etc. My kids learned to count forward and backward by playing Hide and Seek. I counted loudly. :) When they mastered 1 - 50. I started counting backward. Then I counted by 2s or 5s or 10s. I would include references to shapes in my every day language - "Today I'm going to make pancakes for breakfast. Should we make the usual circles or use the cookie cutter to see if we can make square pancakes?"
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:02 AM on May. 21, 2012