Is it ok that my toddler will not drink water?

I dont want to keep giving him juice and milk all the time. I tried giving him water, flavored water. He takes a sip, gets that look of discust on his face, and hands me the cup, and if i try just leaving the water in his cup and every time his thristy giving it to him and he still will not drink it. Is it ok that he wont drink water? What can I do to get him to drink it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:04 PM on Jan. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would start diluting his juice slowly to where there is barely any juice in it. Start by doing like 3 oz juice 1 oz water and then slowly decrease the amount of juice. Even if you don't get it totally water it will be better than him drinking only juice.
    frapanda

Answer by frapanda at 8:06 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• or you can try getting a regular cup and putting a straw in it .....thats the only way my son will drink water or milk...
    mamiofmixed

Answer by mamiofmixed at 8:45 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• add a little sugar to the water not a lot just enough to make it sweet. if he will drink it after a week add a little less sugar, keep adding less and less until he is getting plain water.
    stephmiester87

Answer by stephmiester87 at 8:46 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• i say add little sugar not a lot
    then when he start drinking water with sugar then do not put any in

when my daughter was sick she will not drink water then my mom buy glucose fto put into my daughter water. we we put few times and we didn't put anymore because it like energy drink
    my daughter love water now.. she had not had any juice only fresh orange fruit and fresh fruits every day.
    so put little sugar into the water bottle and slow cut down and not put any.
    mommytobe24

Answer by mommytobe24 at 9:20 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I was always told that children need to drink water just like adults do. So, I make drinking fun, literally. I found out that the reason why my son wasn't drinking water was because I wasn't so, I bought sports bottles for the both of us. When he saw that I was drinking out of my sports bottle then he wanted to do the same, kinda like monkey see, monkey do.
    angeljosh

Answer by angeljosh at 10:29 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Try using ice cubes- my kids love ice cubes in their water. Sometimes it tastes better when it is cold. Or, get a fun water bottle... make sure they see YOU drinking water too.

I've never given my kids anything but milk and water- there is no need for them to drink juice.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 11:35 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• well mine was the same way , one day i found out how to get him to drink it more so on acttend he got alod of my tea and drak the whole thing so i have give a very lightly sugery watered down version he loved it and drinks water now after working with him a bit
    white_wolf454

Answer by white_wolf454 at 2:05 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• maybe I am in the minority, but I also hate to drink water. I had to force myself to when I was pregnant. Yes, it would be good for your child to drink water, but if he is hydrated, at this point that is what is important.

My son is the same way. I barely put any juice when I give him juice and he drinks that just fine. However, with plain water he takes one sip, wrinkles his nose and gives it back to me. Im not to worried about it at this point, though.
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 10:31 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• My daughter isn't interested in water either unless she gets to drink out of a "big girl cup" (usually mine) But because kids need water just like we do, I make sure to always dilute her juice, and when I buy juice, I look for brand with less sugar, and organics if I can find/afford them that week.
    SarahMelvin86

Answer by SarahMelvin86 at 10:53 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• My son will only drink water if it's from my cup, and then he'll drink the whole thing. So I'll just get a regular cup and put a straw in it and hold it for him, and that does the trick for us.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 11:02 AM on Jan. 29, 2009