Trying to teach my son to sleep on his own any suggestions?

So far I have been rocking my son to sleep and I was reading it said to not do that. Well it makes sense but that was the only way I have been getting any sleep. Hes 2 months old and I want to put him in his crib because I known he'll sleep for at least 4 hours. So suggestions please!!!

ArmyWife112908

Asked by ArmyWife112908 at 8:09 PM on Jan. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Don't let the baby CIO!!! Rocking the baby to sleep is awesome! There is NOTHING wrong with rocking them to sleep.
    my DS is 5 1/2 months old and will not sleep in his crib or anything really but my arms or my bed. =) I won't force him to either.

Crying it out doesn't do anything but make the child feel alone and abandoned. I'm not trying to be rude or mean, but they don't want to be alone. I know at 21 I do not like sleeping alone so I can imagine that an itty baby wouldn't either.
    CatherineBird

Answer by CatherineBird at 4:33 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I think that rocking your son to sleep is really a bonding moment that you two could have. Eventually, he'll start going to sleep on his own starting with naps. At least that's how my son started. He wouldn't go to sleep unless one of us were cuddling him or rocking him with his head on our chest or shoulder. Then he started to fall asleep on his own in his crib or playpen. That didn't start until he was about 7-8 months old, though. If he's not ready to fall asleep on his own; he'll let you know. And I think you have already figured that out. Every once in a while though, our son still wants to be cuddled, but is getting less and less frequent. :) But I think you should let him go at his own pace. I know every baby is different, it may even take up to a couple of years. I'm just saying what we do with our son. Good luck! :D
    ReginaGallo

Answer by ReginaGallo at 8:33 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Just put him him his crib when its bedtime and let him fall asleep on his own. You'll have to let him cry until he falls asleep. I am going through it with my 5 month old. My son went from having to be rocked to sleep to needing to be held while sleeping to wanting to sleep with mommy and daddy. Its better to end it early. Your son will cry a lot the first night but it will get better every night. Just go in every 5 minutes and give him a binky if he uses one , and tell him its time for bed. nothing more nothing less. we have been doing this with my son for a 3-4 days now. and he will cry for maybe 5 minutes before going to sleep. hope this helps.
    stephmiester87

Answer by stephmiester87 at 8:40 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I dont sugest letting him cry for a long time with him still being young. I read that reasearch shows that letting a baby cry for more than ten minutes or so without you tending to them will result in them not trusting you as well. My son is two months. And he started sleeping better when I switched him from his bass. to his crib. At first I was making sure he was asleep before I put him in there but then he would just wake back up the second I laid him down. So I started putting him in there when he was tired but not overly tired, and id give him his nook and turn on his mobil and he usually didnt fuss. He would just watch it until he fell asleep. But every baby is different. He sleeps through the night most nights now.
    ashtonjames

Answer by ashtonjames at 1:21 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Yea, letting them cry themselves to sleep is just not a very good idea. It seems like a success to the parent when the baby does eventually stop crying, however that is not very good to the baby's underdeveloped brain. The baby will not trust you or anyone to calm them down for ANYTHING in life, their social behavior later on in life will be very difficult.
    ReginaGallo

Answer by ReginaGallo at 7:19 PM on Jan. 29, 2009