Why is it ok to make the choice to euthanize a pet, but it's not ok to make the choice to end your life?

I'm talking about people who are suffering in pain and are not curable.

I'm not sure where I stand with the issue personally, but it seems like it goes along the same lines to me. You're making the choice for your pet to live or die -- you're choosing to end your life because the quality of life is no longer there.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:10 PM on Jan. 28, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't understand it either. I really don't know why suicide is illegal. It's your life and your body, isn't it?
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 8:15 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Probably has to do with not being able to pay taxes anymore...pets don't pay taxes?!
    Anonymous

• Frankly, if abortion is permitted, then this should be permitted, too. I mean, from a religious stand-point, you ARE playing God in chosing to have an abortion, so why not chose to have your life ended if the quality is no longer there and you know there's no hope, right? I always said we were way more humane to our animals than to ourselves. But think about it, many pharmaceutical companies and medical facilities dont want it to happen because they want to milk these poor souls for all they have before they pass - so that they don't have anything to leave loved ones. Think of the money these companies would lose!
    TeensMom07

Answer by TeensMom07 at 8:21 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Just to be legalistic and obstructionist here: it is not illegal to commit suicide, it is illegal to ATTEMPT to commit suicide and fail.
    Anonymous

• Anon 8:24 - but, most if not all, life insurance companies don't pay if suicide is committed. However, if it's a LEGAL thing - i.e., Dr. Kevorkian (sp?) method, then maybe that would change.
    TeensMom07

Answer by TeensMom07 at 8:27 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Yep if one really wants to knock themselves off they can....I don't reccomend it.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 8:28 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Suicide itself is not illegal (if you attempt and fail, you are not charged with 'attempted suicide.') It is assisted suicide that is a legal issue- it is legal to take your own life, but not legal to assist another in taking their life. For myself personally from a moral standpoint, I do think it is morally acceptable to take your own life in cases of physical suffering, and I don't believe that those who look on or sit with the person as they die with knowledge of what is going on should be prosecuted. I think we would allow people to go more peacefully surrounded by their loved ones if we did not prosecute those who 'assist' the terminally ill in dying on their own terms.
    Incidentally, passive euthanasia (do not resuscitate orders, refusal of medical treatment) is not illegal and doctors will sometimes even recommend it. Where is the line between advocating cessation of treatment and active euthanasia? I'm not sure!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:28 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Let me just amend my answer... I'm in Ontario and here it is not illegal to commit suicide. I've worked as a social worker in the mental health field and know the legislation well enough. From other answers, perhaps this is not true in some states.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:30 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I believe Montana just had legislation pass that allowed terminally ill patients the right to end their life.

Anonymous

• I believe it should be your choice to end your life with assisted suicide if you have a terminal illness. Why should you or I have to suffer in pain? JMO
    lucandpepsmom

Answer by lucandpepsmom at 8:39 PM on Jan. 28, 2009