Do you think it's ok to euthanize pets (as a Christian)?

Just wondering how others felt about it. Do you think it's ok with God for us to make those kinds of decisions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:11 PM on Jan. 28, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yep, why not. It's an animal.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 8:14 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• God put us (as humans) in charge of all animals. So personally if I can end suffering in a helpless animal--I have no problem with doing it. Now having to say goodbye--that is a different story.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 8:19 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Well I dont believe in god, but i am ok with it under certain circumstances, doing it just because i do not believe is right.
    BIMOM21

Answer by BIMOM21 at 8:21 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I'm not a Christian, I'm a Buddhist. But Buddhism also has a precept of not killing, and many adherents (including myself) apply that to animals as well. I'm a vegetarian for just that reason: because I do not want to contribute to the killing of animals. However I do not view this precept as 'absolute'- there are times when it is more compassionate to end pointless suffering than to allow an animal to endure pain and anguish, just as there are times when human lives need to be weighed more heavily than animal lives (drug testing comes to mind.) That being said, I have euthanized two beloved pets when medical options were non-existant and to allow them to continue would only have prolonged their pain and suffering with no hope of recovery. I was with them as they were put to sleep and have no ethical qualms about having speeded along the dying process to spare them further pain.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:22 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• OP-- I just feel like as humans, we like to "play" God. I feel terrible with having to euthanize a pet and often wondered if it was considered a sin to make that decision.
    Anonymous

• When my 13 year old rottie was dying I refused to put her down, I did not believe she was dying. So I stayed with her and watch her die. She was frightened and struggling for breath. I regret not putting her down she didn't deserve to die so painfully.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 8:31 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• if the animal is truly suffering than yes i think its okay. animals cant rationalize their suffering like humans can.

now if its just random killing of dogs & cats b/c there are too many...im dont think God would like that. but thats JMO
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 8:36 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Absolutely. God gave us dominion over the animals of the earth. They are here for our pleasure as well as a resource for food & other things. It's cruel to make pet suffer when you know it's in pain or ill. , although, killing animals just to do it isn't right and I think God would take offense at that. Sometimes for overpopulation reasons, deer and some wild life need to be thinned out and I believe that's OK too. Animals do not have souls and it's not the same as "euthanizing" people.

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 9:54 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Yes I think it is okay. I agree with blessedMommy64
    mommiejay453

Answer by mommiejay453 at 9:57 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Yes; we had to have our beloved Tyson the Terror (LOL! Pomeranian) put down 5 years ago. It almost killed me - I was in a funk for the longest time! But he was 12 years old, eyesight failing, arthritis, and he bit me - not safe to have around the granddaughter anymore. I should have done it two years earlier, but I just loved him so much ... I think God understands. I know Ty did. I still miss him and can't wait to see him again in Heaven: him, Cody, Cuddles and Sox.

snowgirl79

Answer by snowgirl79 at 11:02 PM on Jan. 28, 2009