Anyone have Iv pain medication labor/delivery storys?

I am not going to get a epidural anesthestia. I was wondering if anyone else had iv med only labor/deliverys and how everything turned out?? What iv med was used stadol , demerol, nubain??
Thanks:)

Chas21

Asked by Chas21 at 8:13 PM on Jan. 28, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I had an epi and my contractions were so bad that I didnt even care they were stabbing a needle into my spine. After I got the meds I felt so much better and was able to calm down and enjoy my labor.
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 8:17 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• i had one before my epidural. i cant remember which one but i LOVED it!!
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 8:17 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• My stepsister had Stadol and she HATED it. She felt like she wasn't in control. She kept going in and out of consciousness. I suppose that's just her, though. If you don't mind the sleepiness I guess it's great. My cousin had Demerol with hers and loved it.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 8:19 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Morphine, Dilata, Fentanyl. I knew I spelled those wrong.

Morphine was great. The other two, not so good. And once my water broke all pain medication was rendered useless.
    aridattebayo

Answer by aridattebayo at 8:19 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• is fentanyl the one they give you before you get your epidural?? i was in soo much pain i was afriad i was gonna move so they gave me something that started w a f or ph before the epidural..if they woul dhave just given me that drug in the beginning, i dont think i would have had an epidural at all.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 8:38 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• i had demeral and it was great it really calmed me down from all the pain i had but i was still in control i knew who was there in the room with me, i knew when i had to push and i even felt him come out and even when they pulled out my placenta, the only thing i really couldnt feel or notice was the contractions and boy was i greatful. TMI sorry. Anyways GOOD LUCK in whatever procedure you chose. My labor was great my water broke on its own and everythin after that fell into place.
    mybabe22

Answer by mybabe22 at 8:39 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I had nubain, only half a dose, that wore off in 30 min during transitioning. I regret it to this day. IV drugs will drug your baby. they pass through the placenta.. it's as bad as getting high during your pregnancy.

There are better and safer ways for pain management. Drugs aren't needed but being in a hospital without preparation makes it a lot harder to cope and manage pain.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 8:41 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• my daughter came out drowsy, which made nursing hard. It's a common side effect to IV drugs.. that they DON'T warn you about. : / she ended up with low blood sugar from not eating, and the hospital only made it worse. Never again...
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 8:42 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I had nubain and it is a waste of time... they tell you that your going to feel like your drunk and the pain will go away.... not even slight chance the pain went away... I felt drunk with this horrific pain in my belly. I ended up getting an epidural, the broke my water at 5 am and 545 am my daughter was born. I have had demerol before i had surgery(not for pregnancy) and that seemed to work awesome. Good luck to you and your baby!
    izzismom08

Answer by izzismom08 at 8:45 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• i had demerol before my epi, it was great. I knew what was going on, i was very coherent, i could feel the contractions but the didnt hurt if that makes sense. this was my first child, next time i want to do it with just the demerol and skip the epi.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 10:15 PM on Jan. 28, 2009