Is it true the doctors want you to get c-sections and epidurals??

Monday when I went in for my appt. I was talking to my dr. and I told him I didnt want a epidural. He leaned down and said on epidurals are absoultley wonderful, you'll want one and I told him I really didnt want a csection unless of course it is ABSOULTLEY nessasary! He was like well the percentage is high so.......
I feel like he's not really taking my wishes seriously. Has anyone else felt like this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:23 PM on Jan. 28, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Ive never had a dr tell me that he sounds like a jerk. If your really worried if i were you i would maybe look into getting another dr cause that don't sound right.
    Anonymous

• Yes. Doctors seem to push c/s. The percentage is so high because OB's are surgeons, not midwives, and women don't fully research childbirth. The united states has one of the highest c/s rates AND infant mortality rates of the industrialized world. It's really really sad.

Epidurals are not wonderful, and in most cases c/s are not needed. That is why I am not giving birth at a hospital.

You should look into a doula, they can help make sure your birth plan is followed and fight for you if the doctor/nurses get pushy.

I would switch OB's honestly. If he's pushing an epidural who knows what else he may push (episiotomy, pitocin, induction)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 8:30 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• he cant make you do anythin u dont want to do it is up to you. If its absolutely neccesary to have a c-section then thats what you gotta do to make sure the baby comes out fine, but as for the epidural its your choice not his. if you feel like you cant take the pain u can ask for it if YOU want to . When i couldnt handle the pain i took demoral to help and calm me down and it worked it was easy, they give it to you through the iv, if i remember correctly. MY doctor never told me those things he said whatever you feel like doing its all up to you, but as long as the baby gets here just fine. and proud to have a healthy 5 yr.old son. GOOD LUCK!!!!! and if he pressures you maybe you can change your doctors if its not to late.
    mybabe22

Answer by mybabe22 at 8:31 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• i agree with you on the c section thing..only get it if necassary..but on the epidural side, they really are wonderful but they're not for everyone. you may have your mind made up now that you're not getting one, but then you'll get to the hospital in Painful labor and you may change your mind and there's nothing wrong with that..but only do it becuase You want it, not because your dr is trying to make you get it.GL
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 8:33 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• not everyone has great experiences with epidurals like i did.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 8:35 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• http://www.healing-arts.org/mehl-madrona/mmepidural.htm#medical_risks_epidurals_rates
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 8:36 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I never got an edidural (3 kids). I made the decision beforehand because I did not want a huge needle in my spine. At the hospital the nurses tried so hard to get me to give in that a person that wasn't a 100% with their choice probably would've caved. The hospital gets about $2,000 (I think) for the epidural so I feel fairly confident in saying it's not your pain they're concerned with.
    Anonymous

• Anon. they also know with an epi you are stuck in bed and they don't have to check up on you as often.
    miriamz

Answer by miriamz at 9:26 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• my OB was the opposite- he discourages c/s and said he would like to see me get through early labor before an epidural, although we would decide at the time. I ended up going 5 hours on pitocin with nothing, and he was surprised I went that long. I did have a c/s, due to severe preeclampsia and 0 effacing, 0 dialation (and my liver and kidneys were starting to really look bad). My pediatrician said if Dr. ____________ gave you a c/s, then you must have REALLY needed it! Regardless, if you are uncomfortable with your OB, get a new one- period. I seriously think my OB has to be one of the best in the area, and have heard nothing but good things from others about him.
    musichollie

Answer by musichollie at 9:35 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• My doctor didn't push anything, he got me educated. Him and the NP. It was totally up to me. I thought I was going to deliver naturally the first time but omg the pain was SHIT! So the second time I knew I wanted an epidural again! Good luck, and do your research!
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 9:42 PM on Jan. 28, 2009