Washington Govenor & liqour stores?

My sister just called me (she lives in Washington) and said that the govenor is trying to pass a bill to increase the number of liqour stores in the state of Washington. The only thing we can think of is that an increase of liquor stores leads to more availability, more sales, higher number of drinking people, higher number of drunk drivers, equals more DUI tickets which means more money for the state. Any one else have an idea why she wants more liquor stores in washington???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:34 PM on Jan. 28, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• More tax money?!
    Anonymous

• Because in some little towns you have to drive 50 miles or more to a liquor store to get anything more than beer or supermarket wine! State liquor stores are a joke and a pain in the butt! I used to live in California where you could get anything for a party at any corner Stop-N-Rob. Yeah, Im in Washington too.
    Anonymous

• Taxes - the tax cut on alcohol sales is huge. Also, in Washington - are they state-owned stores or private owned and the owner needs a license? If it's the latter, they also make more money by collecting more licensing fees.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:42 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• NO BUT ASK MY FRIEND BECAUSE SHE STILL LIVE IN WASHINGTON YOU DO MEAN WASHINGTON STATE.
    4kids1970

Answer by 4kids1970 at 8:43 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Washington state, yes. And they are State liquor stores.
    Anonymous

• to tax it
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 9:18 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• good. I plan to live there someday, and don't want to have to drive to Seattle to stock my bar.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 9:43 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I live in Seattle. It's financially driven I'm sure. She's created a deficit and maybe this is how to get the cash back. The mayor is the same, they tax the hell out of us here (really pricey to live in Seattle) and don't fix the roads or bridges that are in need of serious rebuilding. Our Mayor announced that a much needed double decker bridge that needs to be rebuilt in the form of a tunnel will be our county's "opportunity" to pay for the several billion project. Anyway, I agree, the open liquor stores will add to DUI's, etc.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:55 PM on Jan. 28, 2009