Does anyone have a child with GERD? If so how much do they throw up?

My daughter has GERD and she throws up about 1 to 2 oz's a day is this normal for a child with GERD? She is on medication however my understanding is that there is no medication for the throwing up part.

kidscorner04

Asked by kidscorner04 at 8:35 PM on Jan. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my son used to throw up after about every bottle he drank..about 3 ounces....if its what i think it is your daughter should grow out of it not too long...
    mamiofmixed

Answer by mamiofmixed at 8:43 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• my son had it bad up until about a month ago. he was 5 months on the 20th so yea she should be growing out of it soon. my son was on meds as well and is now off them completly. he throws up a little bit when he burps but i try to burp him after every2.5 -3.5 oz. the frequent burping seemed to have helped alot. good luck
    carolinagirl820

Answer by carolinagirl820 at 8:57 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• It really isn't throwing up with GER. It is spitting up. MIne loses about 1-2 oz per feed. There are medicines for GER but they don't stop the spit up. Spit up happens. It is part of life. As long as the baby isn't fussy when spitting up then it is fine. I was just asking our pedi about it today. We stopped our prevacid about a week ago. The spitting up has gotten worse, but she isn't fussy. I see no reason for medicine.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:41 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• my baby had very bad reflux and would projectile vomit after every feeding. but, she gained weight and had wet/poop diapers...so, it didn't affect her even though it was very scary for my hubby and i. it got so much better after she started solids...even now at almost 14 months old, she sometimes spits up....but not nearly as bad as it was before, thank GOD!
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 1:19 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Two of my kids have and had GERD. I found the best thing is to feed them sitting up and let them sit up for at least a half hour. I put my kids in the swing or bouncy seat. also make sure you burp really good. The Dr. even prescribed Reglan, for the spitting up/vomiting and Zantac. Together they work great. The Reglan doesn't stop the spitting up/vomiting completely but it helps a lot.
    rugratsmommy4

Answer by rugratsmommy4 at 1:34 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• My son had that also. that is pretty normal how ever you can switch her formula to enfamil lipil ar its in a red can it will stop the throwing up its especially designed for babies with gerd if your on wic have your doctor give you a perscripton for it to give to your wic worker hopefully this helps.
    Destins_Mommy

Answer by Destins_Mommy at 1:22 PM on Jan. 29, 2009