Having 2 cats in 1 house...

Do you NEED two cat boxes? I heard that but i am starting to believe it. I had a cat name charley always used the litter box. then we got a kitten. we have had it for about a month maybe more & one of the cats have been pooping under my nightstand upstairs. over and over its about the 6th time!! i just cleaned the litter box yesterday fresh litter and baking soda. IT is CLEAN! and i scrubbed that area under my night stand with 2 different floor cleaners, disinfectate spray and then finally febreeze... WHY is this stil happening? should i just buy another litter box? or is that not the problem?

jennifer_oakley

Asked by jennifer_oakley at 3:08 PM on May. 21, 2012 in Pets

• Some cats like their own
    Mine are fine with sharing

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:22 PM on May. 21, 2012

• i think i am just going to put a litter box under my nightstand. Its gross because its right next to my head and thats the 1st thing i smell in the am but it is better then cleaning cat poop off the carpet every other day!
    At least i can scoop and spray instead of scoop, spray, scrub, spray, spray scrub, spray! =)
    jennifer_oakley

Comment by jennifer_oakley (original poster) at 3:39 PM on May. 21, 2012

• Our cats are fine with sharing, but like butterfly said, some don't like to share and won't. It could be your older cat being jealous, or the kitten not being used to your house yet.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 3:53 PM on May. 21, 2012

• I have 3 cats and one large litter boxes haven't had any issues but as pp said some cats do like their own. I also clean the box daily.Silly question have you changed cat litter since having the kitten? Some cats are particular about litter.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 4:34 PM on May. 21, 2012

• i have had the same brand litter tidy cats i did switch once to something super cheap but i switched back to tidy cats.? i got rid of my last cat because no matter what i did he wouldnt go in the litter. somebody even told me to put litter on the Floor! and he wouldn't mess with it.. i tried 3 litters with that cat. & ended up giving 3 bags of litter to my mom. So , i dont want to do that again
    jennifer_oakley

Comment by jennifer_oakley (original poster) at 4:39 PM on May. 21, 2012

• Usually vets will say you should have one litter box per cat, but it's just really what your cat wants. sometimes they don't like the litter you use or even the location of the box makes a difference. I had to keep my litter box out of the bath room because my cat was affraid of the toilet. I love my cat but, MAN! she can be a BITCH sometimes! lol
    RubyBlue82

Answer by RubyBlue82 at 4:46 PM on May. 21, 2012

• My sister used to have a cat that wouldn't share the litter box. She has three cats now and has no problem with them sharing, but years ago, that one cat would NOT share. She got him a separate box and the problem was solved.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 5:02 PM on May. 21, 2012

• It really just depends on the cat and/or how often you clean it out. We have had two cats with one litter box and not had problems. However, the general rule is to have one more litter box than cats...so with two cats, have three boxes.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 11:51 PM on May. 21, 2012

• I have three kitties in the house and had three boxes. For a while they were using three but they only use two now. When it was just the boys in the house, they didn't like sharing a box.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 8:09 AM on May. 23, 2012

• no, but u must clean often
    WHITELIGHTJENNY

Answer by WHITELIGHTJENNY at 12:26 PM on Jun. 1, 2012