how do I ween my breasfed baby?

I have a 6 1/2 month old who is breastfed and i just started cereal. He refuses to take formula and i think it might have to do with never giving it to him when he was younger i finally had more then an hour away from him today and he would not stop crying i need to know tips on how to slowly ween him i am hoping to be done at 10 months but do not see how its possible. PLEASE HELP ME :*(

LoganBear

Asked by LoganBear at 8:48 PM on Jan. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Your LO may not be ready to wean yet. Sure you've started solids, but your LO still may "look forward" to your nursing sessions.

My DS is almost 6 months and is still EBF and will be until he is closer to a year. He has never had a bottle and refuses to take a paci. He will be BF'd until he is ready to wean.
    CatherineBird

Answer by CatherineBird at 4:25 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• theres a book that I bought from Whole Foods Market called First Foods and its a book on how to make solid foods for baby but there is a whole chapter on weaning your baby. check it out. I can't give a direct answer because I am still BFing. good luck
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 8:49 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• well i think if you could breastfeed atleast till 1 year would be great... maybe try pumping, put breastmilk in cereal instead of formula.
    setliff

Answer by setliff at 8:50 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• While I also think you should nurse longer, the best way to mom led wean is to replace one feeding per week with formula.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:20 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Just keep trying to let you LO taste the formula. If you can make it to a year then I would. I had to stop this weekend due to supply issues, and feel incredibly guilty b/c I feel like I am not giving my DD the best that I can. If you want to wean that is up to you. I would just keep trying the formula, your LO will eventually take it.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:30 PM on Jan. 28, 2009