So to all the moms who teach their kids the 'proper terms' for private parts...

Do you also teach them to say urinate and defecate?

Mine is still to little but I am certain we are going to teach her about her to call it her 'private area' and to say 'tee tee' and 'poo poo' I don't think I want my 3 year old saying vagina and urinate! What about your family?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:09 PM on May. 21, 2012 in General Parenting

• We just say pee or poop.
    BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 7:11 PM on May. 21, 2012

• Considering I call a penis a penis, that's the word I used to teach my sons what their junk was called. I don't say I'm going to defecate... or announce I'm going to urinate.. I didn't teach those words. Just saying you're going to the bathroom is sufficient. No one needs to know if it's #1 or #2.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 7:12 PM on May. 21, 2012

• You have a point. I do teach my kid penis and vagina but I don't teach urinate or defecate. If they hear those words and ask what they are I tell them. I teach them to say pee and poop instead; those are more acceptable terms than wee wee and couchie, or whatever other 'cute' words there are for private parts.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 7:13 PM on May. 21, 2012

• Pee or poop because I don't expect my 3 year olds to navigate 'urinate' or 'defecate'.
    FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 7:13 PM on May. 21, 2012

• Well when they are little you teach them the terms for pee and poop I didn't say anyone announced it...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:14 PM on May. 21, 2012

• my children know penis and vagina for their private areas. They say pee or poo if we ask but majority of the time all that needs to be said is I have to use the bathroom. but my 3 yr old does say bowel movement
    Blessed_mom1102

Answer by Blessed_mom1102 at 7:16 PM on May. 21, 2012

• We say pee and poo poo. I don't see the problem with calling a body part by its proper name. For now he calls it a peepee but when he's older I'll teach him the name. Words like vagina, penis, urinate, etc are too hard for little kids to say. Then there are people who act like it's a curse word. I think it's weird when people act like it's horrible to teach kids proper names :/
    xXMarlyeXx

Answer by xXMarlyeXx at 7:16 PM on May. 21, 2012

• Right Marley?! It's their BODY. Don't make them be ashamed of it.
    FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 7:17 PM on May. 21, 2012

• Good question.

I didn't teach them "urinate" and 'defecate"

I think that's too technical. It's also called "emptying your bladder or voiding" and a "bowel movement" so to me there are many way to say that.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 7:17 PM on May. 21, 2012

• My 19 month old calls poop stinkies. Not because I taught her to say that, butt because I would always say "stinky" while changing poopy diapers. She doesn't say anything for pee but I assume it will just be pee. She says butt and doesn't say anything for vagina. I will teach her the proper word, but whatever she chooses to call it is fine with me.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 7:18 PM on May. 21, 2012