Baby born 3 weeks early

My son was born 3 weeks early. He will be 5 months next Tuesday. With reaching milestones should I go by when he was born or by when his due date should have been?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:11 PM on Jan. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Keep in mind that milestones are not set at specific ages; they are in ranges. With only 3 weeks difference I'm sure your baby will fall within the normal range (possibly towards the beginning or maybe at the end of the range). The main thing to watch is that he continues to develop new skills. Every child is different and will reach milestones at their own pace. Don't stress out; just keep playing with him and working on developing new skills!!
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 9:22 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• 3 weeks isn't very early. He is considered full-term. My doctor told me unless the baby is born pre-term, you go by the baby was born. But other doctors could do it differently.
    Anonymous

• when he was born
    Anonymous

• he is considered full term. you should go by actual age.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 9:14 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I would say it depends on how developed he is. You don't want to push him but if you think he can handle it than I would say go for it. If you don't think he can or you think you should try something than try it see his response to it. My daughter was two week early and she was such a faster learner. She held her head up since day one! She was very intelligent and sometimes that gets her into trouble now since she is two and a half. So I think when you play with your son you should know what is the next best thing for him.
    Anonymous

• My ds was born at 36 weeks. It seems he is a bit slower at reaching milestones, and some times I worry but I have read that babies born early can be a bit behind on development. I also heard that often boys take longer to reach mile stones then girls too. Bit its diff with every baby really. Some just are really quick learners and others just take some additional time. I stress out about it at times because I am always waiting for him to crawl and things like that but I TRY not to let it get to me.
    Scoobersmom

Answer by Scoobersmom at 9:21 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• My DD was 3 weeks early too. It seemed to make a bigger difference early on, and the ped. said to go by her due date. Now that she's almost 7 months, she seems to be normal, with the exception of sitting up, which she may be a little late on (but still in the range of normal!)
    musichollie

Answer by musichollie at 9:48 PM on Jan. 28, 2009