STOP THE SCREAMING

How do you break the "screaming phase" of a 11 month olD?

heatherface216

Asked by heatherface216 at 9:21 PM on Jan. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Oh what I did was put my child in her crib and shut the door and walked away. She figured out that screaming doesn't work in this house.
    Anonymous

• I agree. At that age they know how to get your attention...
    Let them cry it out as long as their fed, changed and not in pain.
    Anonymous

• Ear plugs....LOL! They have just discovered that they have a voice, and like a new toy, want to play with it. Trying having "conversations" with him/her. Remember to pause for their turn. Try singing songs, Itsy bitsy spider, twinkle twinkle little star, Jesus Loves me, patty cake, with motions if you know any, make up some if you don't. Trying to mimic the motions may distract him/her from screaming. Hang in there! :)
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 9:26 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• DUDE I'M SOOOO THERE!!!!! When she gets excited she screams when she's mad she screams, when she doesn't get her way she screams, etc. I'm about to die of a headache with all the screaming plus I have a 2 y/o starting BAD tantrums!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SAVE ME!!!!!!!!!!! If you get any really good advice let me in on it... hehehe
    watersgirls

Answer by watersgirls at 9:31 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I am an early childhood major, and from what I have learned... is that you want to get down to their level and talk it out with them. A lot of times they throw tantrums because they don't have the vocabulary to explain why they are upset. If she is throwing a tantrum because.. lets say you told her no when she wants a cookie, get down to her level and say, "I know you're mad that I won't let you have a cookie, and (insert reason for why she can't have a cookie right now)" This is NOT an instant tantrum solver but can take several weeks BUT on the upperhand.. a few weeks of dealing with tantrums this way is better than YEARS of dealing with it other ways. And yes earplugs are a good idea in the mean time
    Anonymous

• Talk to your LO. They are starting to get really vocal at this age and can't quite let you know what they want or what is wrong.
    CatherineBird

Answer by CatherineBird at 4:27 AM on Jan. 29, 2009