My 3 year-old will not remember numbers. Any suggestions how to teach her?

I tried to teach my 3-year old numbers and she will not remember it. Not sure if she just refusing or there is a problem. She is great with putting puzzles together, so she has a great visual memory, but I cannot get her to remember her number. What do I do?

Anuta816

Asked by Anuta816 at 9:24 PM on Jan. 28, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Play games. Put out piles of cheerios, 1, 2, 3, etc and tell her that when she gets the right answer that she gets to eat the pile. Then ask her which pile has 4 cheerios. If she gets it right then she gets to eat them. If she doesn't then say try again, until she does get it. Then count them one two three four, and she can eat them. Remember that attention spans are very short, so you may have to play the game at various times during the day, say after a meal and before dishes, or something so she isn't snacking all day. When you cut up her sandwich say let's count the pieces- you can cut them in 1 to 6 or so pieces. Same with apple pieces. or put raisins in a couple cups and tell her that hers is the one with 5 raisins and yours is the one with 3. Count lots of stuff during the day. How many spoons are on the table, how many pillows. Do a counting game, keep it light, and then do something else before another.

Answer by Bmat at 9:37 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• And don't worry about it! She only three and it takes a long time for the neural pathways to get strong enough to remember - she's only just starting out getting a solid memory built, so numbers, letters, details will all come in time. Like the PP said, just teach numbers out of life experiences - count stairs, count cars. And also remember that visual memory of what written numbers look like is totally different from a physical memory of "how many" something is...these are not the same and so each will be learned at different paces in different ways. She's only 3 - she has plenty of time to get it worked out - but just don't push it or that might stress her and make it harder to remember, and might give her the impression that learning is not fun.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 10:25 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• My babies do that one time they know then for a minute it seems like they forget.After that they sky rocket I think it's there at all times they just get a little bored.Just hang in there.
    MrsRKP7

Answer by MrsRKP7 at 11:47 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• My sons' teacher told me to help him reconize numbers out of sequence and how to reconize how many 2,3,4 of something is... to put numbers on his bedroom wall where he can see them as he drifts off to sleep and when we read a book at bedtime to go over the numbers also, so that while he lays there before drifting off hopefully he would be bored enough to look at them and that helps him to remember. According to some educational study she read about kids often learn while sleeping too.
    kingkongsmom

Answer by kingkongsmom at 12:02 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• She may not be interested in numbers at this time however the best way that I have found to teach a child anything is to isolate only 2 objects that are very different from one another such as a 4 and a 5. First give her the name of each having her repeat each.Have her tracce @ with her fingers.Follow by asking her to do "things" with each letter say "put the 4 on the chair" (I should back up by saying that prior to the lesson cut numbers 1-9 out of sandpaper and glue them on to cardstock or cardboard or buy them at Lakshore Learning . Then have her bring them back to you, one at a time. Then point to the four and ask what is this number? then the next. often children won't be able to retrieve the third questions answer until they are about four. This method was developed by Maria Montessori. Don't present more than 2 each day. You can however, review yesterdays numbers.
    Montessori760

Answer by Montessori760 at 12:56 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Stop trying to teach her. Play with her.

"Let's find 4 blocks for our tower"

She does puzzles, so get one with letters, numbers, colors and shapes. My kids are puzzlers and LOVED doing them. They pick it up before you know it....it's just repetition and making it fun so they don't know they're actually being taught....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:46 AM on Jan. 29, 2009