I need suggestions for buying a flat screen monitor, please!

I am finally going to upgrade to a flat screen monitor!! WOO HOO! I need some suggestions on what to look for and a good brand. I want to spend between $150-200. We have xp and is it compatible with all monitors? I want to get a good quality monitor that will last. Thanks for all suggestions!

Sue41

Asked by Sue41 at 9:29 PM on Jan. 28, 2009 in Shopping

• Viewsonic is a very good reputable brand with many choices in your price range. You can find them on www.newegg.com and in regular retail stores. I purchase many computer parts through newegg and they are a very good site. Do not go with a monitor that is not a well known brand. Computer monitors are like televisions...you purchase one from the cheapest place you can find one and it's a brand nobody has ever heard of, it will be dead in a few months, but if you buy a good brand name, it will last. Viewsonic monitors last FOREVER. Both DH and I have viewsonic monitors (both computer people, I'm a CAD drafter, he is Information Technology). Mine is a flat panel that is about 3 1/2 years old and still like new. DH's monitor is a gigantic flat screen (old school, but with no curved screen) that must be about 8 years old and also displays like new. I will never buy another brand again.
    Lethal232

Answer by Lethal232 at 7:43 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• it's not xp that you have to worry about it's your graphics card. It needs to recognize the monitor. LCD is the best type of monitor any brand that has the LCD option is great. LCD screens are less likely to burn images into the monitor than Plasma screens. Hope that helps?
    watersgirls

Answer by watersgirls at 9:37 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• i would try Dell.com they have great sales, i got mine there and it works wonderfully and has taken a beating from my 3 yrold who doesnt understaned the fact that you cannot poke it hard..
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 8:59 AM on Jan. 29, 2009