Part 3..BOTTOM 2 QUESTIONS......Would you ask a principal to suspend a suspension??

After talking with my daughter about the boy, she is upset he touched her bottom on purpose, she does not want him suspended just to back off. I explained to my daughter what the young man did was wrong, she said he was doing STUBID boy stuff and she did not want him suspended.. I went and spoke with the principal to ask if the boy may do something more productive than be suspended for two days? The principal told me that this young man is a teriffic student, never got into trouble. so the boy is no longer suspended but is going to write an essay on respect. This I feel will teach him a lesson, if this ever happnes with him again, he will be expelled.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:38 PM on Jan. 28, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I haven't read all the back story, but from what you said here - and correct me if I'm wrong - some boy touched your dd's butt, she didn't like it, and complained. The boy, who normally doesn't do stuff this out of line, was going to be suspended, but instead, since you and your dd both felt this was an overreaction, talked to the school.

Now, instead of the knee jerk reaction of zero tolerance (as opposed to dealing with the issue, but judging each case based on the details of that case), the boy has to write a report on respect and learn from this, and this is his only warning /chance.

If that's pretty much it, then yes, I think you handled it very well! Otherwise, your dd might, if in a similar (or worse) situation, not report it, because the punishment is way overboard, when it should be dealt with. The boy learns a lesson on respect, but doesn't have his school life ruined in an overboard way.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 6:09 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I would ask the principle. It sounds like what you did was a fantastic thing actually. good job. he made a mistake and will learn from it, or face more serious consequences.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 9:43 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• i agree, it seems it was handled very well. Kudo's to you.
    FinleyFirst

Answer by FinleyFirst at 9:46 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• btw - I'm answering this both as the mother to a teenage boy and a teenage girl. Yes, there are people who are sexually and otherwise - harassed in school, and it should NOT be tolerated, but then again, there are degrees to it, and, sadly, at this age, the boy might have considered his actions to be a complement.

Now, he knows, and is on notice that it is NOT acceptable, and he's basically dodged a disciplinary bullet, and your dd has had it re-enforced that her body is her own, and nobody has the right to touch her without her permission, and that it will be dealt with, and her opinions on the situation do matter.

Overall, for what it's worth, I have to say, situation well handled!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 6:12 AM on Jan. 29, 2009