Go back full-time w/ an AMAZING salary....OR stay at PT job?

Recently, I was approached by a company to interview for a very high profile position. The interview went quite well, and I was there for almost 2 hours. I have had a TERRIFIC set-up since having my 6 & 4 year old: I've been blessed with a university teaching position where I've been working only twice a week, and earning a nice income. Now, I have this incredible FULL time opportunity, that I know would be a great career move for me and would offer a six-figure salary. The guilt over not being there for my kids the way I have been can make me cry at certain moments, yet I know that this is something I'd be doing FOR THEM, so they can do the activities, experience the vacations and have the life I've always dreamed of having with my family.... Am I losing my mind or should I just shut up and get my butt to work?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:50 PM on Jan. 28, 2009 in Money & Work

• That is a hard decision. You have to make the right decision for your family. I wish you all the luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:53 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• OH!!! Congrats on the job offer!
    coala

• I would try it out and see how it goes with the full time job.
    katherine4

Answer by katherine4 at 9:54 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Only you know what is right for your family. Go with your gut. Kids are resilient and can adapt to changing situations.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 9:55 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• halfpint_ny is right on track. Honestly with their ages I don't think you would miss HUGE milestones like the "first step" kinda thing.
    watersgirls

Answer by watersgirls at 9:58 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I know how you feel. I worked as a manager, with a nice income and benefits and it paid for nice vacations and activities. It also paid for daycare. I paid by almost having a nervous breakdown! I loved my job but I could not handle it. By that I mean I was anxious and depressed, stressed to the max and so was my family. I would consider doing that full time job IF I could assure myself that it would pay for a home assistant and/or a housekeeper, meal maker, grocery shopper and laundry doer. Unless I was free from the moment I arrived home to the time I went to bed and all weekend, I wouldn't be able to care for and spend the time with my kids the way I would want to. Vacations and activities will not make up for one on one time and a reasonable pace in our lives. The flexibility to tend to their needs when they are unanticipated, must be considered. Could U negotiate a job share or. up the PT work?
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 10:15 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Are you going to have the time and energy to keep up with two kids and homework?
    I worked part-time for 2.5 years before either of my kids got homework, and I am now working 40 with only one of our kids having homework so far. When we have 2 doing homework at the same time I am going to have to be home to help my husband.
    I would do anything to go back to part-time again. If you can make ends meet on your current income I would probably stay as is. The extra money almost always seems to disappear so easily. The kids will be be ok with any decision you make if you are happy and they get quality time with you.
    AussieMum2

Answer by AussieMum2 at 12:31 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Your kids come first, they need you more. Work part time when they start school. All the money in the world can never make up the time you will lose with your kids.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:13 AM on Jan. 29, 2009