Inviting people to Birthday parties

Have you ever had a problem inviting too many people to a birthday party? How did you figure out who to knock off the list or did you just invite all of them and hope that only half would show?

ZazaGoszzy

Asked by ZazaGoszzy at 7:21 AM on May. 22, 2012 in Holidays

• My feeling is the more the merrier. We had a combo 1st birthday party/Open house almost 15 years ago. We went on vacation only to come back and find our answering machine loaded with positive RSVP's. We went out and rented tables and chairs, went to Costco and got tons of burgers and hot dogs, ordered side salads and a sheet cake. We had over 100 people show up. It was one of the best parties we had.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 7:37 AM on May. 22, 2012

• WOW!!!! That's a lot of people!!!!! I'm glad it went well :-)
    ZazaGoszzy

Comment by ZazaGoszzy (original poster) at 7:40 AM on May. 22, 2012

• We always seem to have big parties for dd. She is into so many things and has friends all over. I just invite them all and ask for an RSVP. In my experience depending on the age range not all of them do show, but I plan for them all to and touch base with everyone before the party.

Answer by gemgem at 7:51 AM on May. 22, 2012

• We always have a big party for our kids but as far as the people, most of them always say they already had plans so they can't come, just lame excuses ...same with every kid at every birthday (I have 5) but that is ok with us, more Cake for Us :)
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 8:04 AM on May. 22, 2012

• I've had people that never RSVP show up at 8pm for a part that started at 2pm. It's so annoying.
    themodestgal

Answer by themodestgal at 8:39 AM on May. 22, 2012

• My children's birthdays fall inconveniently within 2 weeks of each other. They also fall during summer vacation. Last year we tried to have a big birthday/farewell pary where the kids got to play in the indoor waterpark and ice skate at the Rec center. Out of 25 kids in my youngest daughter's class, three showed. We spent too much money so this year we are taking the KISS approach and taking them to Schliterbahn and they can bring a friend. Maybe it will get easier as they get older.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 8:54 AM on May. 22, 2012

• My DS first birthday party, which was actually last year. Alot of our friends and family live close by. And we get invited to so many of their parties. We live in a townhouse so there was no way we could have hosted it at home with so many guests, so we decided to do it at our community's club house which didn't cost us too much. They had a limit of 130 people.
    Plus when my son's birthday was coming nearer, our friends would literally tell us "oh we're so excited about (son's name) first birthday!! When are you doing it? Where? Do u need any help? Etc. etc. "
    We just didn't have the heart to knock them off the guest list. That way we ended up inviting more than 140 people!
    cookie269

Answer by cookie269 at 9:13 AM on May. 22, 2012

• I normally keep them simple and invite the immediate family.
    mommys2cupcakes

Answer by mommys2cupcakes at 10:18 AM on May. 22, 2012

• It depends on the location and cost of the party. If it is a small, expensive destination party, then I would make an A list and a B list. Invite only as many as you have space for off the A list and give them an RSVP date of about 3 weeks before the party, and follow up with a phone call if you haven't heard from them. If any can't make it, then fill in off the B list.

If it's just a party at a location that does not charge by the head and the only expenses are food and goodie bags, the more the merrier and just plan your food budget accordingly.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 11:16 AM on May. 22, 2012

• We keep our party's small except for once a year then there could be 200 people. A lot of pre-planning goes on.
    Sarah961

Answer by Sarah961 at 4:21 PM on May. 28, 2012