my son is 10 months old and has a bad cold. He hates for me to suction his nose and when I cant get to him quick enough he smears his snott all over his face. Which has now caused his cheeks to be red. Help! What should I do. And does anyone know a easy way to suction out their noses?

chelsey1

Asked by chelsey1 at 10:07 PM on Jan. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• There's a product out there called Little Noses, it's just saline solution in a bottle made for a tiny nostril...drip or squirt some of that up there and have tissues ready, it will all come out! I swear by this stuff! It has no medicine or anything, just saline. Good luck, hope your little one feels better soon :)
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 10:09 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• thanks, i will try that. he just hates to have that thing up his nose
    chelsey1

Answer by chelsey1 at 10:16 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Use saline to irrigate then suction. Babies absolutely hate it, but if you don't do it they're miserable. Poor things. Try wrapping your baby up like a burrito in a blanket so you can keep his arms still while you do it. It's best just to keep the baby still and get it done fast.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 10:23 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• You should put either vaseline or the regular A+D in the yellow tube...either way those will clear up his chapped cheeks..and like the PPs use saline solition for his nose...
    1sttimemommy198

Answer by 1sttimemommy198 at 10:31 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I use the Little Noses saline and then swab the nose with those baby safety swabs (so you can't dig tooooo deep). My dr. told me unless I see the snot, it's not a good idea to try suctioning - it's very easy to stab into the membrane in the nose and cause further annoyance for baby.
    kitkatsmommy

Answer by kitkatsmommy at 10:50 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• The lil noses stuff works very well. Put some in there and then suction. You might want a helping hand to keep him from squriming away. A cool mist humidifer will also help. And for his cheeks. A nurse recomended this lotion to me and it works great. You can get it in the lotion section at walmart. its called aquaphor. It will clear it up quickly and a lil goes a long way.
    ashtonjames

Answer by ashtonjames at 1:01 AM on Jan. 29, 2009