I am leery of this field trip...would you be?

My dd is 7 and in 1st grade. She met and exceeded her AR goals this year. As a reward the school is taking all of the kids to a park and they have shooting fountains and of course play equipment the school has. I guess I am not comfortable with my dd going in a bathing suit in public with people I dont know well enough to trust. I also know they are not closing the park or anything just for our kids. There will be people there able to walk in and out.

Would you be concerned or would you be ok with this field trip?

Asked by gemgem at 9:05 AM on May. 22, 2012 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My kids have gone on a similar field trips, and although they were allowed to wear bathing suits, they had to wear clothes over them. But I have gotten my dd a pair of board shorts and a rash guard top for some places, so it's not quite as revealing as a traditional "swimsuit".

Answer by missanc at 9:40 AM on May. 22, 2012

• I would be okay with it too. But if you are worried you can always volunteer to chaperon so you can make sure she is safe.

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:14 AM on May. 22, 2012

• I'd be okay with it. There are other adults there to chaperon and keep an eye out.

Answer by BrawnwynII at 9:09 AM on May. 22, 2012

• Have her wear one of those long sleeved and shorts combos like people wear to surf in

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:16 AM on May. 22, 2012

• I'd be ok with it. It's just like swimming at a public pool

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 9:17 AM on May. 22, 2012

• So you never have let your DD go in public in a bathing suit? I'm not sure what you are worried about? The PUBLIC is allowed in the park? You never go to a public park?

Maybe you can go on the field trip with her and that would ease your fears.

Answer by Cindy18 at 9:20 AM on May. 22, 2012

• I don't know why you would stop trusting the school this late in the year. You can always volunteer to chaperone.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:25 AM on May. 22, 2012

• I am not sure they will allow us to chaperone this trip though. Volunteers generally only are allowed to chaperone PTO trips we sponsor since that is who I am a volunteer with.

... they can't stop you from showing up... it's a public park... just sayin' :0D

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:39 AM on May. 22, 2012

• I'm sure she will be safe, have her wear a light t-shirt of her suit

Answer by LostSoul88 at 9:21 AM on May. 22, 2012

• I'd be OK with it too. Where will she change out of her swimsuit? Can you chaperone?

Answer by mompam at 9:21 AM on May. 22, 2012