5 day mail week.......

Massive deficits could force the post office to cut out one day of mail delivery, the postmaster general told Congress on Wednesday, in asking lawmakers to lift the requirement that the agency deliver mail six days a week.

They are actually saying it might be on Tuesday that they wouldn't deliver it. This will be so wierd. How long do you think before mail is gone? Or just completely unaffordable. I know I rarely mail stuff anymore!

AND what day do you think the should cut out?

http://mobile.mediacomtoday.com/news/politics.php?display=story&article=D960EH080&pd=20090128

momof030404

Asked by momof030404 at 10:18 PM on Jan. 28, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Um and they are still raising rates in May? The post office SUCKS!
    Anonymous

• I just heard about this today. I think that it will be a little strange if they do this because I am so used to getting my mail everyday but Sunday ( and there are times I check it than forgetting that it don't go than). I think that if they are going to cut a day it should be Saturday. That will make it easier for the postmasters that have children. They will then be able to spend the weekend with there children. I think that if they do away with the postal service it will be quite some time before that happeneds. There are way too many ppl out there that don't even have phone or cable service ( i read about some remote places in certain states that still don't have phone service) so it would be very difficult for them not to get there mail.
    shiningstar75

Answer by shiningstar75 at 10:26 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Sure, cut the days. I never check my mail on Saturday anyway and most of my friends don't either. And, really, when you look at everything else, USPS although not as cheap is still pretty cheap. I can send a letter to my in-laws if I was so inclined for 40 cents...they don't have e-mail or cell phone service and often times their phone lines have been blown down.
    Anonymous

• I avoid mailing stuff if I can. We always lose our stamp books, it's annoying.

If they end up having to cut out a day, I think they should cut out Saturday.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:38 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• They should definitely cut Saturday, not Tuesday. Tuesday is a business day. Saturday can be but it's not an essential mail day. They can't even get their day off right!!

I don't really care if they cut it back to one day a week. Then I wouldn't have to deal with it but once!
    MojitoMama

Answer by MojitoMama at 10:41 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I only check my mail once or twice a week...and then is mostly filled with 'junk' mail anyway. I pay my bills by phone and internet and only send greeting cards to those closest to me on bdays and holidays. So 5 days a week won't impact my life much.
    LilLizaJane

Answer by LilLizaJane at 11:08 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• If they cut Tuesday all hell is going to break loose in accounts payable around the country.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:10 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• cut out Tuesday? sounds like someone was smoking somthing! why would they chose a business day? do they pay less on Saturdays. i didnt even think there was mail on Saturdays till a few months ago haha
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:13 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Mail will never be gone. Thats ridiculous. And this talk of going to a five day delivery has been going on for years. I dont see what the big deal is.
    NorahSethsMommy

Answer by NorahSethsMommy at 1:20 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• They need to completely rework the post office. Nobody should have mail delivered to their doors anymore. There is no need for walking routes anymore. I realize the government doesn't take well to downsizing (just look at the spending spree *ahem* stimulus pkg) but they really need to rid themselves of the "extra" employees, and mainstream things. More of those machines where you can mail pkgs any time, day or night. Yeah, they could make drastic changes, but they are the government. So ridiculous.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:22 AM on Jan. 29, 2009