Single mom whose son joined the Army.

I was wondering how you single moms handled it if your only child joined the Military (Army)? My son is 18 and will be going to Boot Camp in July.

robinc1970

Asked by robinc1970 at 10:34 PM on Jan. 28, 2009 in Adult Children (18+)

• First of all, congratulations! Thank your boy for his service to our country. I hope our son (and maybe our daughter?) will join the military some day. My DH is an Army veteran. FilesWife has a great usggestion, to look for Cafe Mom groups. There are also a lot of support groups that meet live (in person) in many towns. They are usually called "Military Moms." Here is a local one in my area. http://www.pacificamilitarymoms.com/. They do all kinds of cool stuff with the USO, the American Legion, etc. They write letters, send care packages, really neat ladies. The past two Christmas seasons the San Jose chapter collected Starbucks coffee bean donations for our men! I think getting into service with our boys will help us a lot.
    Trixiebelle2

Answer by Trixiebelle2 at 12:26 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Oh and DH says, Blue Star Moms!
    Trixiebelle2

Answer by Trixiebelle2 at 12:27 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I wish mine would. I seriously do, he's not liking college so what else is there? You will be proud!
    Anonymous

• My W/H is retired Army for over 20 years. He is our hero. And every soldier fighting whether they are actively in Iraq or Afghanistan or stateside or any foreign soil keeping peace are our Hero's. I have been on the waiting side with my w/h gone. So many emotions all the time. Mostly proud and anyone i might come across would leave knowing my pride. I still belong to support groups. It is a wonderful way to tell your hero i love you and I care about you all. One place fun to volunteer at is at the USO's located at almost every airport. Or if you live close to any army post call the post activities office to locate groups. Robin may I say for us all Thank You as it is hard to let him go. It will help you to feel closer to your son to get involved. God Bless our Hero's

decafsis

Answer by decafsis at 4:55 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• In all honesty,ALL Moms have a hard time when their kids join the military. For some reason it seems harder on Moms than anyone else,I suppose its the bond we have with them and that no matter what their age,they are always our babies. hard to let go of all that,I know. My son enlisted in the Army National Guard at 18 and I was devestated,one of my biggest fears. BUT three years later,he is done and I survived it all. I had alot of help and support here with military groups,freinds that I still have here and cherish and now I try my best to support them and their children who are still in the military. If you have that commaderie with the ladies here,it will mean so much to you. Also,find out if there is a FRG close by for support too. If you need links to groups here,please PM me. Just know,you will get thru it and you need to support your son with positive thoughts. Its a tuff road,but the pride and love will preservere.
    guardmp_MOM

Answer by guardmp_MOM at 12:08 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• Single mom here, son in the Army! My son left for the army in June of 07. He went to basic at Ft. Jackson, SC, and then went to Fort Lee in Virginia. He just returned from Iraq in December and should be going back to Iraq at the end of this year. As a single mom, my daughters and I depended on my son to be "the man" of the house. His leaving left a void in my heart as well as a hardship on the family. But I would have never for a second considered discouraging him from going. Joining the military has made a man out of my little boy. It's been hard, him being the only son, and I've missed him horribly. But I repected his choice to join the Army and I don't regret that.

Before he left we threw him a big BBQ type party with lots of food, friends, and family. We celebrated. He calls home regularly and we are making a scrapbook of his military life. Be sure to support him. Tell him you're proud of him and LOVE HIM!
    KayLeyWade

Answer by KayLeyWade at 4:53 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• There is a lot more opportunity for for communication now with internet and cell phones...so you will be able to keep in touch with him no matter where he is. And you should be proud of him, that is true.....It is hard to see our kids grow up and live our day to day lives without them right there with us! But you will still talk to him regularly and I am sure it will be fine!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 2:19 PM on Feb. 8, 2009