Pacifiers for an infant

The doctor at the hospital told me not to give my daughter a pacifier until she's a month old because she's breastfeeding, but the doctor at the pediatric clinic told me I didn't have to wait. So... which one should I listen to?

Call-Me-Mommy

Asked by Call-Me-Mommy at 11:02 PM on Jan. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• whatever you choose! i know thats a sucky answer im sorry! i gave my daughter a pacifier while she was still in the hospital! I know they said wait a month becuase of nipple confusion ( i was breast feeding too), because its a whole different feeling for them. but my daughter had absolutely no problem! she needed the pacifier, she couldnt relax, and i couldnt see making her be tense and upset constantly. and she didnt have any problems adjusting to both! so its really a personal choice
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 11:05 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• u can give them one its fine i did with 3 of mine
    josalin

Answer by josalin at 11:03 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I used one when was bf my children. I am a big believer that babies do not have to be on mom 24 7 they can easily be comforted with a paci while you are holding them and not be on the boob all the time and it helps them to sleep. I understand where the doc is coming from because withsome babies it can confuse them but I never had that problem.
    Anonymous

• I used a pacifier right away and my son never had a problem. He would suck on anything! He's almost 6 months now and hasn't taken a pacifier since about 3 months. Sometimes I wish he would!
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 11:08 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• i breastfed and gave one to my son while we were still in the hospital. he did fine.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 11:09 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Mine took one at the hospital and he nursed just fine... well until he got his shots!! lol then he just started biting me!! but I love NUKS if u choose to give her one...
    apeclark2008

Answer by apeclark2008 at 11:19 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• i breast feed my daughter and pacifier is good idea at anytime we give our daughter after two weeks
    you donot wanted your baby to using your breast to go sleep
    and when they start teething try to take it off

I cut my daughter off at 9 month old.. i give to her at nap time and bedtime and then slowing take away..
    mommytobe24

Answer by mommytobe24 at 11:21 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I was told by an oral motor therapist that the soothie brand pacifier helps promote the type of sucking reflex that is needed to nurse. We used the soothie. But they tell you that so that you can avoid nipple confusion. I don't know anyone who has had any problems. Good luck whatever you decide.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:53 PM on Jan. 28, 2009