• In the Spotlight:

Breast feeding

I have a 3 week old daughter and am trying desperately to breast feed her. I breast fed my son for about a month but he quit latching on and I am trying to keep her from doing the same thing. I want to give her tea in a bottle (She has gas and it soothes her tummy) but I am not sure if that will cause her to stop latching on. How old could a breast fed baby drink bottles and not loose their desire to breast feed?

butterflymom112

Asked by butterflymom112 at 11:05 PM on Jan. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Don't put anything in the bottle without talking to the pedi first.

Anonymous

• I agree, ask a pediatricion before giving her anything. Try laying her on her belly, do bicycles with her legs, if that doesn't work maybe use gas drops. Be sure to burp often. Could you have a milk imbalance? That can cause gas problems in breast fed babies.

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/gassybaby.html

Devory

Answer by Devory at 11:18 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• 3 weeks is too young to introduce a bottle. Nipple confusion can cause tons of problems. Also at 3 weeks tea really isn't recommended. I know that there are teas that help soothe a tummy but not for a 3 week old.

Babies are normally gassy for the first month, as their bodies and bellies adjust to life outside the womb and actually eating. You can try bicycling her legs, and doing the "i LU" technique on her stomach. What you do is rub your thumb on your right side, her left, of her belly button. You rub a downward line for an "I", then you go above the belly button and make an upside down reverse "L" (so like a T missing the right line lol), still going downward. Then do an upside down "U" from left to right.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 12:12 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Babies should not be given anything but breast milk of formula for the first 6 months. Maybe you should try to see if there is something in your diet that could be causing the gas before you give her tea. I wouldn't give her a bottle at all yet. If you really want to give her tea (and I don't think you should, btw) give it to her with a syringe or eye dropper. 

PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 12:12 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• No tea, please. Gas in a breastfed baby is often a reaction to one of two things: Overactive letdown or sensitivity to dairy in mom's diet.

Check out kellymom.com for a great article on gassiness in baby and how to treat it. Tea isn't among the recommendations. **smile**

Answer by gdiamante at 12:13 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Burping is very important to, and make sure you do it right. Patting the back doesn't always cut. You need to put a small amount of pressure on the abdomen to push out any excess air.

We used 100 natural gripe water, not mylicon, to soothe my daughter's stomach as well and it works a lot better in my opinion. :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 12:14 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• When I nursed my first daughter I had a lactation consultant tell me not to introduce a bottle until after 6 wks. old to avoid nipple confusion. And I agree with other posters on using alternatives for the gas rather than the tea. There's no need to give her a bottle at this point yet.

Here's a link with some good info: http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/gassybaby.html. Read through the whole article but especially the section 'Popular treatments for gas in babies' it specifically talks about using tea or herbal remedies (they do not recommend). Instead try tummy massage or if you want to give her something use Mylicon drops.
    princesspalace

Answer by princesspalace at 12:29 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• When I was breastfeeding my son he had the same problem with latching on try using a nipple shield you can buy them at target but they work awesome it gives them a better idea of what to do but please don't use a bottle it will just confuse her and she could end up never wanting to breastfeed again and its a wonderfull bonding time with them and i agree with the ppl who said please do not use tea and to try the drops as in mylicon and burbing often, and just wiggling the gas bubbles up with the bicycle motions or putting pressure on her tummy and and patting her back it will come out one way or the other....Good luck I hope everything works out good for you just dont give up keep up with it
    1SkylersMommy1

Answer by 1SkylersMommy1 at 12:45 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• you really want to try and give her nothing but the breast!! the more other things you introduce like pacifiers... anything... can disrupt the latching on.... also, if you have concerns... you should really check out la lech league... they have a web site.. its one of the best places to answer any questions about breastfeedin!!! just go to google and search "la leche league" its wonderful!!!
    sweetmama8

Answer by sweetmama8 at 12:51 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I would not offer tea in a bottle. or anything for that matter.
    Only let her have your breast. Burp her after each feeding.
    watch what you are eating or drinking!!
    My son couldn't handle ME drinking any milk products. I was able to drink 1%milk in a VERY small quantity. He'll be 6 months on Feb 10th and he's never had a bottle and refuses to take a paci. I can now drink milk no problem.
    CatherineBird

Answer by CatherineBird at 4:05 AM on Jan. 29, 2009