dehydrated baby symptoms

What are the signs of a baby getting dehydrated. My baby hasn't been eating good and now he just vomited everything. I just gave him a little pedialyte but I'm worried if he will get dehyrated overnight. What are signs that would show me when he's getting dehydrated? I know one sign is not wetting a diaper for 6 hours. He did have fewer wet diapers today but he is still wetting a little.

momofpurebliss

Asked by momofpurebliss at 11:11 PM on Jan. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The first poster is right. Also, clammy feet. Squeeze his fingernails until white then let go. If the pink is slow to return that is another sign. With a baby and vomit or diarrhea you have to really watch. Keep trying to hydrate. Vomit is different because it can be saliva too. The diarrhea is what is pretty bad.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:22 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Try to pinch his skin lighty, if the skin stays pinched he's dehydrated....the loose part of his skin that is. They did this to my son when he was 9mths, he had the stomach flu. His skin stayed pinch just barely. The doc actually griped at me and my hubby for it. If he's old enough you can try other things too. sips of water, flat clear pop, clear juice, jello water, etc.
    danni33

Answer by danni33 at 11:17 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• why dont you call the dr and see what they say that is what we do if ours is sick we usually call the dr. call ad see if they want you to bring him in.
    Wyattsmom205

Answer by Wyattsmom205 at 11:20 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Those were good ideas dani and jean. I did those things and I think he is okay for now. I feel better to go to sleep now. Thank you
    momofpurebliss

Answer by momofpurebliss at 11:28 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• his soft spot will sink in, his eyes will be dry, as will his mouth, and the other things others mentioned.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 11:33 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• If you are breastfeeding you don't need to use pedialyte, breastmilk is better.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:11 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I have heard about not having enough wet diapers. I have also heard, depending on if your baby is younger his softspot in the front will be sunken in if he is dehydrated. And you can always call to the ob at the hospital and ask them, they are usually willing to answer questions if you dont have a nurse hotline that you can call in your area. There is one here where I live. And I think if he has vomited your suposed to do as much pedialyte as he would drink and repeat it for like 6 hours. Not sure how many times though, you would have to check on that.
    ashtonjames

Answer by ashtonjames at 12:47 AM on Jan. 29, 2009