Any prenatal test your against or are not needed unless you have had past pregnancy issue?

Please tell what you have had and not had and why your for it or against it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:12 PM on Jan. 28, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It all depends. I didn't get the beta protein test, the one that checks for downs syndrome. we weren't really at risk,although I have a cousin that was born with downs, and even if we were it wouldn't change a thing. Some people want to know just so they can feel better or prepare if something does look abnormal.
    gettingfat89

Answer by gettingfat89 at 11:17 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• well, there are some that are only for certain races or nationalities..usually they'll tell you which ones are necassary and which ones are optional...i just did all of the ones that applied to me becuase i felt it was better safe than sorry..its just your blood they're testing.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 11:18 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Every one should make their own choice - I support that. For our three babies, three separate pregnancies for them, my husband and I both agreed no amnio cuz we felt it was invasive and inconclusive about life's longterm ability. But if prenatal surgery were necessary we would have done that or surgery soon after birth we would have done that. Instead of amnio we decided to go to a highrisk ob at a level three neonatal to increase chances of survival should for any I went in to preterm labor of if difficulties came up during or after birth. We knew that amnio results when bad sometimes results in abortion and we refused to have that discussion for our babies. Abortion is personal and up to a couple and doctors. Almost a quarter of a century after I first became a mother and giving birth two more times, our son know and two daughters know that we love them unconditionally abortion or no abortion, amnio or no amnio.
    Anonymous

• Thank you ladies,
    See i'm against for me amnio due to the potential risks or having a cycstic fibrosis test.
    I have had no complicated issues to have a need for one,my race is not an issue for risks.
    I believe i will raise what god blesses me with.
    However,why i ask is the doctor told me i was stupid and a bad mom and my baby deserved to die by not having any tests to give the baby the best care it would deserve.
    Anonymous

• If this is true I hope u have changed doctors and made a complaint about him some where.
    mbc324

Answer by mbc324 at 11:36 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• thats crazy! I wouldnt do amnio either and my dr. said he didnt blame me. i say if you arent at risk dont do anything invasive. those tests are just as likely to cause problems as determine them!
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 11:38 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Yes,i started to see someone new that is great,i want what is best for baby but does not go against my beliefs or is not needed either.
    Anonymous

• Doctors sometimes are about the money behind what they want versus what is best for the mother.
    Anonymous

• No matter how far along you are I think you should interview other doctors. He or she had no right to say that to you. I refused amnios and my doctor checked for downs by measuring bone growth as the pregnancies went on. It was understood very clearly ahead of time that results of potential downs from measurements meant no amnio or abortion, it meant more specialized care during pregnancy and delivery, afterwards too. I'd make a complaint against that doctor too. Many tests are wrong or after birth not as bad as originally thought. Go to the best hospital you can and doctor. Those two things alone increase baby's uterine health and health after delivery.
    Anonymous

• I would never have a amnio that just looks painful I can imagin what it feels like. But I had all of the other test that the dr said I needed. You need to do what is best for you.
    Anonymous