HELP! SERIOUSLY!!

My Son is 5 Months old and He has slept in his swing since the day he came home.. Now he's getting to big for it.. like it won't swing any more!!! lol and Im trying to get him to sleep in his crib that we just got... Ive tried just naps but he just screams and SCREAMS until i go get him and put him in his swing.. but he'll sleep on our bed during naps but not his bed... Please what can i try to get him in his crib??

apeclark2008

Asked by apeclark2008 at 11:17 PM on Jan. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When we moved from the swing to our crib our LO was 2 mos and I thought that it would be hard, and it wasn't. I think that maybe I would try cio and check on him at 5 or 10 min intervals. Don't pick him up, just put your hand in their and rub the back or tummy and let him know that it is okay. I know that this is hard on you, but in the long run it will turn out to be a good thing. Just remember that this process can take a while. You just have to be patient. If this doesn't work for you then try co sleeping like a pp suggested. We don't believe in cosleeping so that would never have worked for us. Just do whatever feels right for you and your family.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:45 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• You have to let him scream it out but start slowly with naps. Make sure he knows it's safe, put one of those aquariums in there that lights up and bubbles or plays soft music. My sister and her husband made a pot of coffee one night and put their daughter in her crib (same problem) and she only screamed for three hours. They went to bed much earlier than they'd anticipated.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:20 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• If he will sleep in your arms, try letting him fall almost all the way asleep and then laying him in the crib. Give him some sort of comfort, a blanket, a pacifier, even one of your shirts for the smell. If nothing works you may just have to let him cry it out till he gets used to it. Good Luck
    danni33

Answer by danni33 at 11:20 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• hmmmm....maybe elevate the mattress? then he will at least be at the same angle as sleeping in the swing....put a pillow UNDER the mattress. i dont know just a thought..
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 11:21 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• jeanclaudia: ONLY screamed for 3 hours??? I'm all for CIO but 3 hours?? i couldnt do that!
    Anonymous

• let him cry it out
    Wyattsmom205

Answer by Wyattsmom205 at 11:22 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Yikes... Well, I think you've learned a valuable lesson about that swing for all future babies that you'll have! lol You might have to co-sleep with him for a little while. I know that some will probably disagree with me & say that will be an even harder habit to break, but if he will sleep in your bed, that's a step closer to the crib & away from the swing. Try moving him from your bed to his crib when he's in a DEEP sleep. If you can move his crib to your room for a while, it will be easier for you to quickly comfort him back to sleep when he starts to stir, so hopefully he'll never really realize he's in the crib & freak out. I dunno, hun, I'm kind of at a loss for good advice on this one! Good luck!
    heather.huckaby

Answer by heather.huckaby at 11:24 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• There is a pillow under the mattress I tried that too!! lol he won't sleep while i hold him... never has but it does bother me.. he'll fall asleep for everyone else that way but me... kinda hurts my feeling but... thanks for the suggestion anyway!!!
    apeclark2008

Answer by apeclark2008 at 11:25 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Okay, for all of the CIO advice, I just MUST comment again. There's nothing wrong with letting your baby cry for a few minutes. He/she doesn't need to think that every time he whimpers you'll come running. BUT--- I just can't understand how a mother can listen to her baby screaming and NOT go comfort them. A baby cries for a reason- they're scared, lonely, hungry, wet, tired, etc. They're only young once. Pleeeeeeeeeeease don't let your baby lay in his crib and cry for hours. I'd say 5 minute intervals with you going in to comfort in between is okay. I was reading a post on here a couple days ago where a mom had let her son CIO & he actually cried until he vomited, then fell asleep in a pool of his own vomit! That's SO incredibly sad : (
    heather.huckaby

Answer by heather.huckaby at 11:28 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I personally cannot do the CIO thing Just cant...I have an 18 year old and a 14 month old.. The newest baby slept with us in our bed for about 7 months and some people thought we would never break him, but, it was sooo easy. I always rock him to sleep at night and then lay him down in his crib..He almost never gets up in the middle of the night. I think the transition was harder on me.lol
    Even naps I let him rock with me during the day and then lay him down, unless I'm really tired and I lay with him on the couch.. Good Luck whatever you choose!!
    sheilatanman

Answer by sheilatanman at 11:34 PM on Jan. 28, 2009