crib or toddler bed?

I have a one year old who sleeps pretty well on her own but has been co-sleeping because of night nursings, hubby says she can stay in our bed till 2 but then she has to move out, but since shes starting to go through the night without nursing I've been thinking of going ahead and putting her in her own bed.

So my question is, should I get a crib or a toddler bed?

If I got a crib I would get one that transitions into a toddler/normal bed but they tend to be more expensive from what I've seen so thats why I was thinking about just a toddler bed, but I was wondering if because of her age she still needs a crib or is she old enough now to not need a crib?

Gaberielle

Asked by Gaberielle at 11:29 PM on Jan. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We always got twin mattress and box spring on the floor, toddler bed is a waste of money.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 11:32 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• If you get a toddler bed at this age you run the risk of your child getting out of bed and getting into stuff, before you can get to them. If you get a crib you can control this a little bit longer. You have to decide what will be best for you guys.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:35 PM on Jan. 28, 2009

• Honestly, if she does ok by herself in a regular bed get a toddler bed or just a twin mattress on the floor. If she does a lot of rolling, definitely put her in a crib.
    rugratsmommy4

Answer by rugratsmommy4 at 1:29 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I'm getting ready to find a toddler bed for my daughter. The crib gets unsafe because they can stand and fall out.
    akhlass

Answer by akhlass at 4:58 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• Neither.

Unless you're going to have another baby and use the crib, there's no point in that. A toddler bed is only going to last you a couple of years or so and you'll have to get a regular bed anyway....

Just get a regular bed...twin, full, whatever size you'd get her eventually...save money in the long run.

Child proof her room in case she does get out of bed, have a monitor in there so you can hear everything through the closed door (which will keep her in the room) and put a cover on the door handle so when she learns to open doors, she can't open the door on her own.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:18 AM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I skipped the toddler bed with my oldest we went right to the regular bed. While we were getting the bed picked out and drawn up (MY dh made him a captains bed) He slept on a mattress on the floor. That seemed to work out for us
    heather_84

Answer by heather_84 at 12:01 PM on Jan. 29, 2009

• I would say a toddler bed or regular bed. We just put my son in a toddler bed at 18 months and he does ok. We got one on craigslist for a good deal because i know he wont be in it long...i jsut felt that a regular bed would be too big right now. He has gotten out of bed a few times but we put a gate across his bedroom door so it keeps him contained in his room. We always use a monitor so i can hear him when he gets up too
    MsKacy

Answer by MsKacy at 12:03 PM on Jan. 29, 2009